S-wave envelope broadening characteristics of microearthquakes in the Canary Islands
This study analyzes the S-wave envelope broadening characteristics of 290 earthquakes recorded by 14 stations of the Spanish National Seismograph Network in the Canary Islands region. The S-wave peak delay time (t p ) and envelope duration (t q ) parameters are evaluated phenomenologically to infer the strength of velocity inhomogeneities of the medium along each seismic ray path. Crustal (0 ≤ h ≤ 18 km) and upper mantle (18 < h ≤ 80 km) events are analyzed separately. Results in the frequency range 1 to 12 Hz for hypocentral distances from 30 to 600 km show that both t p and t q increase according to a power of hypocentral distance and they are independent of frequency. The spatial distribution of the peak delay time reveals weak strength of heterogeneity in most of the region at shallow depths. Relatively strong inhomogeneous zones are generated under the island of Tenerife and Gran Canaria at depths of 11–22 km.
KeywordsCoda waves Scattering Envelope broadening Canary Islands
We are very grateful to Carmen López and the people of the Instituto Geográfico Nacional, Spain for their support during the data selection process. Funds provided by REPSOL are supporting A. Ugalde. Two anonymous reviewers made constructive comments that helped to improve the paper.
- Araña V, Ortiz R (1986) Marco geodinámico del volcanismo canario. An Física Vol Esp 82:202–231Google Scholar
- Fúster JM (1975) Las Islas Canarias: un ejemplo de evolución temporal y espacial del volcanismo oceánico. Est Geol 31:439–463Google Scholar
- Petukhin AG, Gusev AA (2003) The duration–distance relationship and average envelope shapes of small Kamchatka earthquakes. Pure Appl Geophys 160:1717–1743Google Scholar
- Saito T, Sato H, Ohtake M (2002) Envelope broadening of spherically outgoing waves in three-dimensional random media having power law spectra. J Geophys Res 107. doi: 10.1029/2001JB000264
- Saito T, Sato H, Ohtake M, Obara K (2005) Unified explanation of envelope broadening and maximum-amplitude decay of high-frequency seismograms based on the envelope simulation using the Markov approximation: forearc side of the volcanic front in northeastern Honshu, Japan. J Geophys Res 110:B01304. doi: 10.1029/2004JB003225 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Socías I, Mézcua J (1996) Levantamiento aeromagnético del archipiélago canario, vol 35. Instituto Geográfico Nacional, Madrid, pp 1–28Google Scholar
- Verhoef J, Collette BJ, Dañobeitia JJ, Roeser HA, Roest WR (1991) Magnetic anomalies off West-Africa (20–38°N). Mar Geophys Res 13:81–103Google Scholar