Maximum Endurance Lightning Current of Different High-Temperature Superconducting Wires
- 135 Downloads
The over-current performance of high-temperature superconductors (HTSs) has been well studied. However, the superconducting devices used in power grid might also suffer lightning current. In previous researches, we have investigated the influences of the substrate layer, encapsulation layer, and tape dimension on the thermal stability of yttrium barium copper oxide (YBCO) tapes after suffering a lightning current. However, in this paper, we will focus on the maximum endurance lightning currents (MELCs) of different HTS tapes including YBCO and BSCCO tapes. We prepared and tested seven HTS samples. The critical current and n value of each sample were measured and calculated before and after the 8/20-μs lightning current tests. A maximum endurable value of lightning current which might not cause the critical current degradation was obtained from the testing results. Finally, the mechanisms causing the degradation were analyzed.
KeywordsHTS Lightning current YBCO BSCCO Degradation MELC
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant no. 61374155). The research is also supported by Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (grant no. 20130073110030).
- 3.Hu, D., Zhang, J.W., et al.: Influence of the substrate layer on the lightning current performance of YBa2Cu3O7−δ tapes. J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. (2017, in press)Google Scholar
- 4.AMSC. http://www.amsc.com. Accessed date. August 01 2017
- 5.Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd: http://global-sei.cn/products/super-conductivity (2017)
- 6.SuNAM Co., Ltd. http://www.i-sunam.com
- 7.Superpower Inc. http://www.superpower-inc.com/content/2g-hts-wire
- 8.Shanghai superconductor technology company. http://www.shsctec.com. Accessed date. August 01 2017