Influence of Nano CeO2 on the Microstructures and Current Density of Preform Optimized Infiltration Growth-Processed Bulk YBa2Cu3 O 7−δ Superconductors
- 133 Downloads
The effect of the addition of nanometric ceria (CeO2) on the physical properties of YBa2Cu3 O 7−δ superconductors is investigated. Preform optimized infiltration growth (POIG) process emerged as one of the advanced processing techniques to obtain the uniform distribution of fine Y2BaCuO5 (Y-211) particles of the order of ∼1 μ m. Nanoparticles of CeO2 were added to Y-211 in 0, 2, 5 and 10 wt% through a novel process called Nano Dispersive Sol Casting and subjected to POIG process. Nanometric CeO2 particles were distributed homogeneously throughout the Y-211 preform without any agglomeration. The micrographs of the final composites indicate refinement in Y-211 particle size and presence of defects in various length scales, starting from few nanometers to few microns. As the CeO2 content increased, the Y-211 particle size refined below 1 µm and, for 10 wt% of doping, even smaller than 0.5 µm. Elemental analysis confirmed the formation of different phases in the CeO2-added composites, due to which the superconducting transition is shown broadening. The sample with 10 wt% doping exhibited a stable J c curve to high applied magnetic fields due to the presence of multiple peak fields. The present work demonstrates the introduction of fine microstructural defects for pinning the flux lines at different applied magnetic fields in POIG-processed YBCO composites.
KeywordsSuperconductor Nanoparticles CeO2 Microstructure Current density
A grant from the UGC-XI plan for FESEM is gratefully acknowledged. The authors thank the Center for Nanotechnology for the PPMS facility.
- 5.Hull, J.R., Murakami, M.: Proc. IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 92, 1705 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, I.G.: AAPPS Bull. 18, 17 (2008)Google Scholar
- 28.Missak Swarup Raju, P.: Infiltration Growth Processing of YBCO Nanocomposites: Shape Forming, Microstructural and Magnetic Studies Ph.D. Thesis, University of Hyderabad (2012)Google Scholar
- 33.Pavan Kumar Naik, S., Missak Swarup Raju, P., Rajasekharan, T., Seshubai, V.: Limited infiltration due to reactive sintering of nano-Sm2 O 3 with preforms—its effect on (Y, Sm)Ba2Cu3 O 7−δ superconductors. Supercond. Sci. Technol. 29, 115001 (2016)Google Scholar
- 35.Dew-Hughes, D.: Low temperature. Physics 27, 713 (2001)Google Scholar