Structural, Magnetic and Dielectric Properties of Bi0.9Re0.1FeO3(Re = La, Sm, Gd and Y)
- 230 Downloads
With a view to understand the influence of rare earth ion doping on the structural, magnetic and dielectric properties of bismuth ferrite, a series of samples were prepared by the solidstate reaction method. After characterizing the samples with XRD and SEM studies, the magnetic and dielectric measurements were carried out. It is interesting to note that the two impurity phases, viz., orthorhombic Bi2Fe4O9 and cubic Bi25FeO40 observed in undoped bismuth ferrite are found to vanish with rare earth doping. Further, the remnant magnetization (M r) values are found to increase with increasing ionic radii of dopant rare earth ion. Interestingly, among all the samples, La doped BiFeO3 sample is exhibiting negative magnetization at low temperatures. The dielectric constant is found to exhibit two transitions above room temperature. Efforts have been made to explain the observed structural, magnetic and dielectric behaviours of the materials.
KeywordsMagnetic materials X-ray diffraction Dielectric properties
The senior author of the paper (Prof. P. Venugopal Reddy) acknowledges the authorities of Shanghai University, Shanghai, for providing financial support under the Ziqiang visiting professorship program to visit their university as a visiting professor and also for providing necessary facilities to carry out the entire work.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 6.Scott, J.F.: Rep. Prog. Phys. 12, 1056 (1979)Google Scholar
- 7.Ponomarev, B.K., Ivanov, S.A., Popov, Y.F., Negrii, V.D., Red’kin, B.S.: Ferroelectrics 161, 43 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, L.Y., Wang, D.H., Huang, H.B., Han, Z.D., Cao, Q.Q., Gu, B.X., Du, Y.W.: J. Ally. Com. 469, 1 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Cheng, Z.X., Li, A.H., Wang, X.L., Dou, S.X., Ozawa, K., Kimura, H., Zhang, S.J., Shrout, T.R.: J. Appl. Phys. 103 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Neel, L.: Ann. Phys. (Paris) 3, 137 (1948)Google Scholar