A Comparative Study with Colchicine on Glutathione Reductase
- 146 Downloads
Colchicine is a drug used for the treatment of FMF, primary biliary cirrhosis, psoriasis, Behçet’s disease, aphthous stomatitis. Glutathione reductase (GR; E.C 188.8.131.52) is a crucial enzyme which reduces glutathione disulphide to the sulfhydryl form GSH by the NADPH-dependent reduction, which is an important cellular antioxidant system. The purpose of the present work is to evaluate the in vitro effects of colchicine on GR from various sources. The component of glutathione redox cycle, GR, plays important role in the protection of the cell from the toxic effects of reactive oxygen species. Due to its significance the enzyme has been purified from a number of animals, plants and microbial sources and studied the in vitro effects of many chemical compounds or drugs on enzyme activity. We have established that colchicine inhibits GR in a concentration dependent manner. We have investigated the kinetic characterization, inhibition types and constants (Ki).
KeywordsGlutathione reductase Colchicine Inhibition Kinetic properties
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate reduced form
This work is a part of a project and (0701101011) supported by Hacettepe University Scientific Research Unit.
- 2.Andrews P (1965) Biochem J 98:595Google Scholar
- 10.Picaud T, Desbois A (2006) Biochemistry 45(51):15829–15837Google Scholar
- 13.Rigante D, La Torraca I, Avallone L, Pugliese AL, Gaspari S, Stabile A (2006) Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 10(4):173–178Google Scholar
- 15.Segel IH (1975) Enzyme kinetics, 3rd edn. Chapter 9 & 11, Wiley, Toronto, pp 273Google Scholar
- 17.Tandogan B, Ulusu NN (2006) FABAD J Pharm Sci 31:230–237Google Scholar
- 18.Tandogan B, Ulusu NN (2010) Protein Pept Lett. Jan 10 (Epub ahead of print)Google Scholar