Urea Controlled-Release Fertilizer Based on Gelatin Microspheres
- 268 Downloads
Gelatin microsphere, as a sustained release urea carrier, was prepared by an emulsion–cross linking method with glutaraldehyde (GA) as a cross-linking agent. The influence of urea/gelatin ratio, emulsifier, GA concentration, and cross-linking time on the urea loading and encapsulation efficiency was investigated using response surface methodology. It was found that the urea/gelatin ratio had greater impact on urea loading and encapsulation efficiency than other factors. Equilibrium swelling of microspheres were performed in distilled water, and as expected, the water uptake decreased with the increase of GA as well as the reaction time. The cumulative release of urea from the microspheres decreased with the increase of reaction time and urea release presented a Fickian trend, indicating a diffusion controlled urea release mechanism. The insight from this study is useful to the design and process of controlled release urea fertilizers.
KeywordsGels Crosslinking Controlled release Microspheres Urea Gelatin
Authors would like to acknowledge the funding from the China National Key Research & Development Program (Grant No. 2016YFD0300805) and the Zhengzhou University Seed Funding for National Major Science & Technology Foundation Program in 2015.
- 8.Dave AM, Mehta MH, Aminabhavi TM, Kulkarni AR, Soppimath KS (1999) Polymer 38:675Google Scholar
- 16.Mikkelsen RL (1994) Nutr Cycl Agroecosyst 38:53Google Scholar
- 17.Chen YS, Chang JY, Cheng CY, Tsai FJ, Yao CH, Liu BS (2007) Macromol Biosci 26:3911Google Scholar
- 18.He SL, Zhou ZH, Peng C, Huang HH, Xiang LJ, Cao DF, Zhou H, Chen J, Ou BL, Liu Q, Zeng WN, Liu LH (2016) Mater Technol 31:145–152Google Scholar
- 20.Olde Damink LHH, Dijkstra PJ, Van Luyn MJA, Van Wachem PB, Nieuwenhuis P, Feijen J (1995) J Mater Sci 6:460Google Scholar
- 25.Zuo XJ, Wang ZX, Dai XM, Zhou Y, Ma XJ (2006) Spectrosc Spect Anal 26:1151Google Scholar
- 29.Ji Y, Zhang XH, GUO R (2004) Acta Chim Sin 62:345Google Scholar