A System for Weighted Max-Min Congestion Control in MPLS Networks
- 81 Downloads
This paper introduces a framework to support explicit rate congestion control for best-effort service in MPLS networks. We devise the two basic mechanisms required, namely, a signaling component to convey explicit-rate congestion control information and associated algorithm for calculating explicit fair rates. The proposed signaling component uses Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) in a novel way to convey explicit rate congestion control information. An algorithm to calculate Weight Proportional Max-Min (WPMM) fair rates appropriate for MPLS networks is introduced. Simulations are presented that show the effectiveness of the RSVP explicit rate signaling method when combined with the proposed max-min fair rate algorithm.
KEY WORDS:MPLS RSVP Congestion control Max-min
- 1.E. Rosen, A. Giswanathan, and R. Callon, Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture, RFC 3031, January 2001 http://www.ietf.org.
- 2.R. Braden, L. Zhang, S. Berson, S. Herzog, and S. Jamin, Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP), RFC 2205, September 1997 http://www.ietf.org.
- 3.J. Wroclawski, The Use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services, RFC 2210, September 1997 http://www.ietf.org.
- 4.The ATM Forum Technical Committee, Traffic Management Specification version 4.0, af-tm-0056.000, April 1996 http://www.atmforum.com.
- 5.R. Jain, Congestion Control and Traffic Management in Atm Networks: Recent Advances And A Survey, ATM Forum Contribution 95–0177, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Kalyanaraman, Traffic Management for the Available Bit Rate (ABR) Service in Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) Networks, Ph.D. Thesis, Ohio State University, Chapter 4, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.F. Skivée and G. Leduc, A Distributed Algorithm for Weighted Max-Min Fairness in MPLS Networks, Proc. of 11th IEEE International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT’2004), Fortaleza, Brazil, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Boutaba, W. Szeto, and Y. Iraqi, DORA: Efficient Routing for MPLS Traffic Engineering. Journal of Network and Systems Management, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 309–325, September 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Marbach, Priority service and max-min fairness. IEEE /ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 733–746, October 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Awduche, L. Berger, D. Gan, T. Li, V. Srinivasan, and G. Swallow, RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels, RFC 3209, December 2001 http://www.ietf.org.
- 11.D. P. Bertserkas and R. Gallager, Data Networks, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1992Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Thomas Hou, Henry Tzeng, Shivendra S. Panwar, and Vijay P. Kumar, A Generic Weight-Proportional Bandwidth Sharing Policy for ATM ABR Service. Performance Evaluation, Vol. 38, pp. 21–44, 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Quan Le and Tapio Erke, A Combination of ERICA+ and Distributed WPMM Algorithms to Guarantee the Minimum Cell Rate for ABR Service in ATM Networks. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems L. (SPECTS), Montreal, Canada, July 2003.Google Scholar
- 14.L. Kalampoukas, A. Varma, and K. K. Ramakrishnan, An Efficient Rate Allocation Algorithm for ATM Networks Providing Max-Min Fairness, Proceedings of the 6th IFIP International Conference on High Performance Networking, 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Qi Wangdong and Xie Xiren, The structural property of network bottlenecks in maxmin fair flow control. IEEE Communications Letters, pp. 76–77, March 1998.Google Scholar
- 16.WK. Tsai and M. Iyer, Constraint precedence in max-min fair rate allocation. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 490–494, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.The Network Simulator Version 2.28 (NS2), http://www.isi.edu/nsna.
- 18.The MPLS Network Simulator version 2, http://flower.ce.cnu.ac.kr/~fogl/nms.
- 19.D. Adami, C. Callefari, S. Giordano, F. Mustacchio, M. Pagno, and F. Vitucci, Overview of the RSVP-TE Network Simulator: Design and Implementation. Proceedings of Internet Performance, Simulation, Monitoring and Measurements (IPS-MOME), pp. 276–281, March 2005.Google Scholar
- 20.M. Greis, The RSVP Module for NS2, http://titan.cs.unibonn.de/~greis/rsvpns_index.html.
- 21.RSVP-TE Patch for NS2, http://www.ideo-labs.com.
- 22.C. Williamson, A Performance Study of ABR Traffic Control Strategies Using the ATM-TN Simulator, TeleSim Project Report, Department of Computer Science, University of Saskatchewan, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 23.R. Jain, S. Fahmy, S. Kalyanaraman, and R. Goyal, The ERICA Switch Algorithm for ABR Traffic Management in ATM Networks, Part II: Requirements and Performance Evaluation, Paper submitted to the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, January 1997.Google Scholar