Infrared Thermographic Testing of Steel Structures by Using the Phenomenon of Heat Release Caused by Deformation
Deformation of steel parts is accompanied by either heating or cooling of particular zones depending on deformation mechanism. The use of infrared thermographic equipment allows analyzing spatial/temporal temperature distributions on the surface of steel parts thus allowing the evaluation of heat release caused by deformation in bulk material. Determination of stressed state in critical parts by analyzing infrared thermograms can be most simply conducted for components subjected to uniaxial tension–compression. The paper describes some potentials and problems of nondestructive testing of steel parts and constructions based on the analysis of heat release caused by deformation. By analyzing this methodology, it is possible to better evaluate the life expectancy of critical parts in steel structures (components of offshore oil platforms, seismic-resistant buildings, frames of large mining trucks, etc.).
KeywordsInfrared thermography Nondestructive testing Steel part Deformation Heat generation
This study was supported by Tomsk Polytechnic University Competitiveness Enhancement Program, and in part by the Russian Scientific Foundation Grant #17-19-01047.
- 4.Sharkeev, Y.P., Vavilov, V.P., Belyavskaya, O.A., Skripnyak, V.A., Nesteruk, D.A., Kozulin, A.A., Kim, V.M.: Analyzing deformation and damage of VT1-0 titanium in different structural states by using infrared thermography. J. Nondestruct. Eval. 35, 42 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10921-016-0349-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Weber, W.: Über die specifische Wärme fester Körper, insbesondere der Metalle. Annalen der Physik und Chemie. Zweite Serie 20, 177–213 (1830)Google Scholar
- 7.Hort, H.: Die Wärmevorgänge beim Recken von Metallen. Mitt. Forschungsarbeit. Ing.Wes, H. 41, pp. 1-53 (1907)Google Scholar
- 8.Thomson, W.: On the thermoelastic and thermomagnetic properties of matter. Quart. J. Math. 1, 57–77 (1857)Google Scholar
- 13.Ivanchenko, I.P., Voevodin, S.I., Prokopenko, A.N.: Full-scale investigation of hydrodynamic loads on the fasteners of the turbine cover. Gidroénergetika 3(28), 5–11 (2012). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 14.Moyseychik, E.A.: The elastic limit of mounting studs for securing the cover of the turbine of the hydroelectric unit and the development of a monitoring system for evaluating their working capacity. Gidrotehnicheskoe Stroitel’stvo 3, 43–47 (2015)Google Scholar