Inversion of Functional Graded Materials Elastic Properties from Ultrasonic Lamb Wave Phase Velocity Data Using Genetic Algorithm
- 330 Downloads
An inverse method based on genetic algorithm (GA) is presented to determine the elastic properties of functional graded materials (FGMs) plate from lamb wave phase velocity data. The Legendre polynomial expansion method is used as a forward solver to calculate the phase velocity dispersion curves of lamb wave in FGMs plate, which has a distribution function to express the inhomogeneity of materials’ elastic properties. The properties of FGMs plate can be characterized by minimizing the standard deviations between the actual and calculated phase velocities of lamb waves. By using GA, the elastic parameters of FGMs plates with three different distribution functions are inversed, and the convergence and deviations of the inversion are also discussed. The investigation shows that this inverse method is efficient and accurate for determining the materials parameters of FGMs and the deviation can be controlled below 5 %.
KeywordsFGMs Legendre polynomial expansion method Inversion Phase velocity dispersion curve Genetic algorithm
Financial supports of this work by the National Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu province under Grant No. BK2011695, the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 61108013, the Specialized Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (Grant No. 20103219120040) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. NUST2012ZDJH007).
- 3.Dutton, B., Clough, A.R., Rosli, M.H., Edwards, R.S.: Non-contact ultrasonic detection of angled surface defects. Nondestruct. Test. Eval. Int. 44(4), 353–360 (2011) Google Scholar
- 6.Jia, J., Shen, Z.H., Yuan, L., Ni, X.W.: Experimental and numerical study of mode transformation and energy attenuation of wedge waves generated by laser ultrasound technique. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51(2), 022703 (2012) Google Scholar
- 20.Elmaimouni, L., Lefebvre, J.E., Zhang, V., Gryba, T.: Guided waves in radially graded cylinders: a polynomial approach. Nondestruct. Test. Eval. Int. 38(5), 344–353 (2005) Google Scholar
- 22.Sivanandam, S.N., Deepa, S.N.: Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. Springer, Berlin (2007) Google Scholar
- 25.Hong, K., Yuan, L., Shen, Z.H.: Analysis of Lamb waves propagation in functional gradient materials using Taylor expansion method. Acta Phys. Sin. 60(10), 104303 (2011) Google Scholar
- 26.Darrell, W.: A genetic algorithm tutorial. Stat. Comput. 4, 65–85 (1994) Google Scholar