Ambient Vibration Tests of a Steel Footbridge
- 200 Downloads
The paper presents analytical and experimental modal analysis of a steel footbridge for modal parameter identification. 3D finite element model is established for the steel footbridge based on the design drawing and modal parameters are obtained from deformed configurations. The field test is carried out by ambient vibration test under human walking excitation. Both Peak Picking method in the frequency domain and the Stochastic Subspace Identification method in the time domain are used for the output-only modal identification. From the study, good agreement is found between mode shapes, but some differences in the natural frequencies and analytical frequencies are bigger.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Leonard, D.R., Eyre, R.: Damping and frequency measurements on eight box girder bridges. Report No. LR682, Crowthorne: Transport and Road Research Laboratory, Department of the Environment (1975) Google Scholar
- 2.Eyre, R., Tilly, G.P.: Damping measurements on steel and composite bridges. In: Proceedings of the DOE and DOT TRRL Symposium on Dynamic Behaviour of Bridge, pp. 22–39 (1977) Google Scholar
- 5.Bayraktar, A., Altunışık, A.C., Sevim, B., Türker, T.: Modal testing and finite element model updating of an arch type steel footbridge. Steel Compos. Struct. 7(6), 487–502 (2007) Google Scholar
- 7.Silva, J.G.S., Vellasco, P.C.G., Andrade, S.A.L., Lima, L.R.O., Figueredo, F.P.: Vibration analysis of footbridges due to vertical human loads. Comput. Struct. 85(21–22), 1693–1703 (2007) Google Scholar
- 11.OMA: Operational Modal Analysis, Release 4.0. Structural Vibration Solution A/S, Denmark (2006) Google Scholar
- 12.Felber, A.J.: Development of hybrid bridge evaluation system. Ph.D. thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (1993) Google Scholar
- 13.Brincker, R., Zhang, L., Andersen, P.: Modal identification from ambient responses using frequency domain decomposition. 18th Int. Modal Anal. Conf. 4062(2), 625–630 (2000). San Antonio, USA Google Scholar
- 16.Peeters, B.: System identification and damage detection in civil engineering. Ph.D. thesis, K.U., Leuven, Belgium (2000) Google Scholar
- 17.Ewins, D.J.: Modal Testing: Theory and Practice. Research Studies Press Ltd, Taunton (1984) Google Scholar
- 18.SAP2000: Integrated finite element analysis and design of structures. Computers and Structures Inc, Berkeley, California, USA (1998) Google Scholar