A Review of Realizing the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Goals by 2030: Part 1- Status quo, Requirements, and Challenges
This paper is the first part of a review of how to realize the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) goals by 2030. The objective of this review is to investigate the role of eHealth and technology in achieving UHC, focusing on four aspects: 1) identifying the importance of UHC and highlighting how UHC is influenced by health systems and eHealth, 2) investigating the current status of UHC worldwide and indicating the current challenges facing the realization of UHC, 3) reviewing the current research activities in the UHC domain and emphasizing the role of eHealth and technology in achieving UHC, and 4) discussing the results of the review to identify the current gaps in UHC implantation and the corresponding research lines for future investigation.
This part covers the first two aspects through: providing the required background on UHC, highlighting the potential benefits of eHealth utilization in UHC, addressing the current status quo of UHC implementation worldwide, and finally concluding the lessons learned in terms of the UHC challenges and requirements.
This part also described the used search methodology and selection criteria to synthesize this review. It also indicates the limitations of conducting a systematic review in this early stage of deploying UHC-oriented eHealth solutions.
KeywordseHealth Health Systems Informatics mHealth Universal Health Converge
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH
Health Insurance Information System
Health Information System
Health Policy and Systems Research
Information and Communication Technology
Joint Learning Network for Universal Health Coverage
Low and Middle-Income Countries
Millennium Development Goals
National Health System
World Health Organization
Universal Health Coverage
Conflicts of interest
The author declares that she has no conflict of interest.
- 1.Brearley, L., Marten, R., O’Connel, T., Universal Health Coverage: a commitment to close the gap. Rockefeller Foundation, Save the Children, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO). http://www.rockefellerfoundation.org/app/uploads/uhc-close-the-gap-report.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2015, 2013.
- 3.WHO, Universal Health Coverage: Supporting Country Needs. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/contracting/UHC_Country_Support.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2015, 2013.
- 4.Kieny, M.-P., and Evans, D. B., Universal health coverage. East Mediterr. Health J. 19:4, 2013.Google Scholar
- 5.GIZ, A Quiet Revolution Strengthening the Routine Health Information System in Bangladesh. JLN Web. http://jointlearningnetwork.org/uploads/files/resources/2014_11_A_Quiet_Revolution-Strengthening_the_Routine_Health_Information_System_in_Bangladesh_1.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2015, 2014.
- 6.UNDP, Universal Health Coverage in the post-2015 development agenda. United Nations Development Programme in Africa Web. http://www.africa.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/HIV-AIDS/HIV%20MDGs%20and%20Development%20Planning/ISSUE%20BRIEF%20FINAL%20-%20October%2010%202013.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2015, 2013.
- 8.Sustainable Development Solutions Network. An Action Agenda for Sustainable Development. United Nations Statistics Division Web. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/broaderprogress/pdf/130613-SDSN-An-Action-Agenda-for-Sustainable-Development-FINAL.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2015, 2013.
- 10.Kieny, M.-P., Research for Universal Health Coverage- the World Health Report 2013. World Health Summit yearbook 2013, 2013.Google Scholar
- 13.WHO, WB, Monitoring Progress towards Universal Health Coverage at Country and Global Levels: Framework, Measures and Targets. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/universal_health_coverage/en/. Accessed 25 April 2015, 2014.
- 14.WHO, Universal health coverage (UHC). WHO Web http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs395/en/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2014.
- 16.WHO, Research for universal health coverage: World health report 2013. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/whr/2013/report/en/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2013.
- 17.Vega, J., Universal Health Coverage, Sustainable Development and the Post‐ 2015 Agenda. UN Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform Web. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/1861OWG_UHC_RF_Presentation%20June13%20Final.pdf. Accessed 25 April 2015, 2013.
- 19.WHO, Health systems financing: the path to universal coverage. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/whr/2010/en/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2010.
- 20.UN, Millennium Development Goals Report 2014. UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Web. http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/publications/mdg-report-2014.html. Accessed 25 April 2015, 2014.
- 21.WHO, Atlas eHealth country profiles: based on the findings of the second global survey on eHealth. (Global Observatory for eHealth Series, Volume 1). WHO Web. http://www.who.int/goe/publications/ehealth_series_vol1/en/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2010.
- 23.Internet Innovation Alliance, 10 Benefits of Telemedicine, eHealth and Health IT. Internet Innovation Alliance Web. http://www.internetinnovation.org/press-room/broadband-news-press-releases/10-benefits-of-telemedicine-ehealth-and-health-it/. Accessed 25 April 2015, 2011.
- 24.Kwankem, Y., Poluta, M., Heimann, P., El-Nageh, M., Belhocine, M., Health care technology management: Eastern Mediterranean Regional strategy for appropriate health care technology. WHO Regional Publication, Eastern Mediterranean series 24 . http://www.emro.who.int/dsaf/dsa41.pdf. Accessed 25 April 2015, 2001.
- 26.WHO, Framework and standards for country health information systems. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/healthmetrics/tools/framework/en/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2008.
- 27.WHO, Towards a monitoring framework with targets and indicators for the health goals of the post - 2015 Sustainable Development Goals. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/indicators/hsi_indicators_sdg_targetindicators_draft.pdf. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2015.
- 28.Ingun, P., Streveler, D., Brown. K., et al., Technical Brief Series-Brief No 10: The Role of Information Systems in Achieving Universal Health Coverage. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/healthsystems/topics/financing/healthreport/ICTTBNo10.pdf. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2010.
- 29.Marten, R., Nachuk, S., Ten (Plus One) Things to Think About When Planning and Implementing Universal Health Coverage. Rockefeller Found Web. http://www.rockefellerfoundation.org/blog/ten-plus-one-things-think-about-when/. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2014.
- 32.UNRISD, Towards Universal Social Security in Emerging Economies: Process, Institutions and Actors. UNRISD Web. http://www.unrisd.org/80256B3C005BB128/(httpProjects)/D418B0BADDCE6080C1257A3F00412709. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2012.
- 35.The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Key Features of the Affordable Care Act. HSS Web. http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/timeline/index.html. Accessed 20 April 2015, 2013.
- 40.Alfonso, E. A., Diaz, Y., Giedion, U., The impact of universal coverage schemes in the developing world: a review of the existing evidence. WB Web. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/HEALTHNUTRITIONANDPOPULATION/Images/IMPACTofUHCSchemesinDevelopingCountries-AReviewofExistingEvidence.pdf. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2013.
- 41.Maeda, A., Araujo, E., Cashin, C., et al., Universal Health Coverage for Inclusive and Sustainable Development: A Synthesis of 11 Country Case Studies. WB Web. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/2014/06/19761878/universal-health-coverage-inclusive-sustainable-development-synthesis-11-country-case-studies. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2014.
- 43.The Lancet, Universal Health Coverage in Latin America. The Lancet. http://www.thelancet.com/series/latin-america-UHC. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2014.
- 49.Rosenquist, R., Golichenko, O., Roosen, T., Ravenscroft, J., A critical player: The role of civil society in achieving universal health coverage. Glob. Health: 6, 2013.Google Scholar
- 51.WHO, Health Systems Financing: The Path to Universal Health Coverage - Plan of Action. WHO Web. http://www.who.int/health_financing/Health_Systems_Financing_Plan_Action.pdf. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2012.
- 55.JLN, Exchange knowledge, test solutions, and document what works. JLN web. http://jointlearningnetwork.org/. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2015.
- 56.JLN, Joint Learning Update. JLN Web. http://jointlearningnetwork.org/uploads/files/resources/JLN_Update_June13_FINAL.pdf. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2013.
- 57.Wilson, K., Latko, B., Cashin, C., et al., Provider Payment Reform and Information Technology Systems: A Chicken and Egg Question for National Health Coverage Programs. JLN Web. http://www.jointlearningnetwork.org/uploads/files/resources/IT-PPM_FINALlores_online.pdf. Accessed 26 April 2015, 2013.