Design of a Dynamic Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Coil System
- 303 Downloads
To study the brain activity at the whole-head range, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) researchers need to investigate brain activity over the whole head at multiple locations. In the past, this has been accomplished with multiple single TMS coils that achieve quasi whole-head array stimulation. However, these designs have low resolution and are difficult to position and control over the skull. In this study, we propose a new dynamic whole-head TMS mesh coil system. This system was constructed using several sagittal and coronal directional wires. Using both simulation and real experimental data, we show that by varying the current direction and strength of each wire, this new coil system can form both circular coils or figure-eight coils that have the same features as traditional TMS coils. Further, our new system is superior to current coil systems because stimulation parameters such as size, type, location, and timing of stimulation can be dynamically controlled within a single experiment.
KeywordTranscranial magnetic stimulation Electromagnetic modeling Magnetic field distribution
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51007040).
- 3.Teplan, M., Fundamentals of EEG measurement. Meas. Sci. Rev. 2:1–11, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Bohning, D. E., Introduction and overview of TMS physics. In: George, M. S., and Belmaker, R. H. (Eds.), Transcranial magnetic stimulation in neuropsychiatry. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, pp. 13–44, 2000.Google Scholar
- 15.Ruohonen, J., and Ilmoniemi, R. J., Multichannel magnetic stimulation: Improved stimulus targeting. In: Nilsson, J., Panizza, M., and Grandori, F. (Eds.), Advances in magnetic stimulation: mathematical modeling and clinical applications. Maugeri Foundation, Pavia, pp. 55–64, 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.Wang, X. M., Chen, Y., Guo, M. X., and Wang, M. S., Design of multi-channel brain magnetic stimulator and ANSYS simulation. IJBEM 7:259–262, 2005.Google Scholar
- 22.Xu, G. Z., Chen, Y., Yang, S., Wang, M. S., Yan, W. L., The optimal design of magnetic coil in transcranial magnetic stimulation. 27th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: 6221–6224, 2005Google Scholar