HL7 Engine Module for Healthcare Information Systems
- 627 Downloads
The integration of applications is always the most important issue for a development team especially in the healthcare industry. In this paper, a Health Level 7 (HL7) engine system is proposed to solve HL7 challenges, which are associated with applying HL7 in healthcare organizations. This new HL7 engine has been implemented in a hospital as a solution for challenges we have faced. The engine shows great success overcoming known HL7 limitations.
KeywordsHL7 Interface engine Integration Medical systems
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Khoumbati, K., Themistocleous, M., and Irani, Z., “Integration Technology Adoption in Healthcare Organizations: A Case for Enterprise Application Integration”, 38th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences HICSS, 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.WIKIPEDIA,2012,Health Level 7, Available at: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HL7>, Accessed on 2 April 2012.
- 7.Lu, X., Gu, Y., Yang, L., Jia, W. and Wang, L., “Research and implementation of transmitting and interchanging medical information based on HL7”. Inf. Sci. Eng. 457–460, 2010.Google Scholar
- 9.Huff, S., “Clinical data exchange standards and vocabularies for messages”. Intermountain Health Care. 62–67, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.Williams, R., Bunduchi, R., Gerst, M., Graham, I., Pollock, N., Procter, R., and Vo, A., “Understanding the Evolution of Standards: Alignment and Reconfiguration in Standards Development and Implementation Arenas”, Conference of the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology, 2004.Google Scholar