Selecting the Numerical Flux in Discontinuous Galerkin Methods for Diffusion Problems
- 328 Downloads
In this paper we present numerical investigations of four different formulations of the discontinuous Galerkin method for diffusion problems. Our focus is to determine, through numerical experimentation, practical guidelines as to which numerical flux choice should be used when applying discontinuous Galerkin methods to such problems. We examine first an inconsistent and weakly unstable scheme analyzed in Zhang and Shu, Math. Models Meth. Appl. Sci. (M3AS)13, 395–413 (2003), and then proceed to examine three consistent and stable schemes: the Bassi–Rebay scheme (J. Comput. Phys.131, 267 (1997)), the local discontinuous Galerkin scheme (SIAM J. Numer. Anal.35, 2440–2463 (1998)) and the Baumann–Oden scheme (Comput. Math. Appl. Mech. Eng.175, 311–341 (1999)). For an one-dimensional model problem, we examine the stencil width, h-convergence properties, p-convergence properties, eigenspectra and system conditioning when different flux choices are applied. We also examine the ramifications of adding stabilization to these schemes. We conclude by providing the pros and cons of the different flux choices based upon our numerical experiments.
KeywordsDiscontinuous Galerkin methods spectral/hp elements parabolic flux choices stabilization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnold, D. N., Brezzi, F., Cockburn, B., Marini, D. 2000Discontinuous Galerkin Methods for Elliptic Problems.Cockburn, B.Karniadakis, G.E.Shu, C.-W. eds. Discontinuous Galerkin Methods: Theory Computation and ApplicationsSpringerBerlinGoogle Scholar
- Atkins, H., and Shu, C.-W. (1999). Analysis of the discontinuous Galerkin method applied to the diffusion operator. In 14th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference AIAA, pp. 99–3306.Google Scholar
- Brezzi, F., Manzini, G., Marini, D., Pietra, P., and Russo, A. (1999). Discontinuous finite elements for diffusion problems. Atti Convegno in onore di F. Brioschi (Milano 1997) Istituto Lombardo Accademia di Scienze e Lettere, pp. 197–217.Google Scholar
- Canuto, C., Hussaini, M. Y., Quarteroni, A., Zang, T. A. 1987Spectral Methods in Fluid MechanicsSpringer-VerlagNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Castillo, P. 2002Performance of discontinuous Galerkin Methods for elliptic problemsSIAM J. Numer. Anal.24524547Google Scholar
- Cockburn, B., Karniadakis, G. E., Shu, C.-W. 2000The development of discontinuous Galerkin methodsCockburn, B.Karniadakis, G. E.Shu, C.-W. eds. Discontinuous Galerkin Methods: Theory Computation and ApplicationsSpringerBerlinGoogle Scholar
- Helenbrook, B., Mavriplis, D., and Atkins, H. (2003). Analysis of p-multigrid for continuous and discontinuous finite element discretizations. In 16th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference AIAA, pp. 99–3989.Google Scholar
- Shu, C. -W. 2001Different formulations of the discontinuous Galerkin method for the viscous termsShi, Z.-C.Mu, M.Xue, W.Zou, J. eds. Advances in Scientific ComputingScience Pressmascou144155Google Scholar