A Haar wavelet-finite difference hybrid method for the numerical solution of the modified Burgers’ equation
- 413 Downloads
In this paper, we investigate the numerical solutions of one dimensional modified Burgers’ equation with the help of Haar wavelet method. In the solution process, the time derivative is discretized by finite difference, the nonlinear term is linearized by a linearization technique and the spatial discretization is made by Haar wavelets. The proposed method has been tested by three test problems. The obtained numerical results are compared with the exact ones and those already exist in the literature. Also, the calculated numerical solutions are drawn graphically. Computer simulations show that the presented method is computationally cheap, fast, reliable and quite good even in the case of small number of grid points.
KeywordsHaar wavelet method Modified Burgers’ equation Linearization Finite differences Numerical solution
We would like to thank the reviewers for their invaluable suggestions towards the improvement of the paper.
- 4.J.D. Cole, On a quasilinear parabolic equation occurring in aerodynamics. Quart. Appl. Math. 9, 225–236 (1951)Google Scholar
- 5.E.L. Miller, Predictor–corrector studies of Burgers’ model of turbulent flow, M.S. Thesis, (University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 1966)Google Scholar
- 15.A.G. Bratsos, in HERCMA 2009: An Implicit Numerical Scheme for the Modified Burgers’ Equation. Hellenic-European Conference on Computer Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 9, 24–26 September 2009, Athens, GreeceGoogle Scholar
- 20.Y. Duan, R. Liu, Y. Jiang, Lattice Boltzmann model for the modified Burgers’ equation. Appl. Math. Comput. 202, 489497 (2008)Google Scholar
- 32.S.G. Rubin, R.A. Graves, Cubic spline approximation for problems in fluid mechanics (NASA TR R-436, Washington, 1975)Google Scholar