Tunnel Junction as a Noise Probe
- 41 Downloads
The paper investigates theoretically effects of noise on low-bias parts of IV curves of tunnel junctions. The analysis starts from the effect of shot noise from an additional (noise) junction on the Coulomb blockaded Josephson junction in high-impedance environment. Asymmetry of shot noise characterized by its odd moments results in asymmetry of the IV curve of the Josephson junction. At high currents through the noise junction the IV curve is sensitive to electron counting statistics. The theory is generalized on another type of noise (phase noise of a monochromatic AC input) and on a normal Coulomb blockaded tunnel junction. The effect of shot noise on the IV curve of a superconducting Josephson junction in low-impedance environment is also analyzed. From this effect one can obtain information on the time necessary for an electron to tunnel through the junction responsible for shot noise. In summary, the analysis demonstrates, that the low-bias part of the IV curves of tunnel junctions can be a sensitive probe of various types of noise.
Pacs Numbers05.40.Ca 74.50.+r 74.78.Na
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.J. Delahaye, R. Lindell, M. S. Sillanpää, M. A. Paalanen, E. B. Sonin, and P. J. Hakonen, cond-mat/0209076 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 19.J. P. Pekola, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 206601 (2004); J. P. Pekola, T. E. Nieminen, M. Meschke, J. M. Kivioja, A. O. Niskanen, and J. J. Vartiainen, ibid. 95, 197004 (2005).Google Scholar
- 20.Ankerhold J., Grabert H. (2005) Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 18601Google Scholar
- 23.G. L. Ingold and Yu. V. Nazarov, in Single Charge Tunneling, Coulomb Blockade Phenomena in Nanostructures, H. Grabert and M. Devoret (Eds.), Plenum, New York (1992), p. 21.Google Scholar
- 25.G. -L. Ingold, H. Grabert, and U. Eberhardt, Phys. Rev. B 50, 395 (1994); G. -L. Ingold and H. Grabert, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 3721 (1999).Google Scholar
- 26.A further analysis of the effect of an arbitrary high noise current I s on a Josephson junction was recently done by E. B. Sonin, cond-mat/0607636.Google Scholar
- 27.P. J. Hakonen, A. Paila, and E. B. Sonin, cond-mat/0604479 (to be published in Phys. Rev. B).Google Scholar
- 29.The difference between the effective capacitance and the geometric capacitance was recently detected experimentally by M. A. Sillanpää, T. Lehtinen, A. Paila, Yu. Makhlin, L. Roschier, and P. J. Hakonen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 206806 (2005).Google Scholar
- 31.A. A. Odintsov, G. Falci, and G. Schön, Phys. Rev. B 44, 13089 (1991); P. Joyez and D. Esteve, Phys. Rev. B 56, 1848 (1997).Google Scholar