Male Age Affects Female Mate Preference and Reproductive Performance in the Cabbage Beetle, Colaphellus bowringi
The influence of male age on female mate preference and reproductive performance in the cabbage beetle, Colaphellus bowringi was examined, using male and female adults of varying ages (young, middle-aged and old) after a single mating. In a simultaneous choice test, females of all age class preferentially mated with middle-aged males. Mating duration was positively related to male age. Longevity of females was not significantly affected by male age. Young females paired to middle-aged males had significantly higher egg production than those paired to old males, and the eggs of females paired to middle-aged males exhibited significantly higher hatching success than the eggs of females mated to young or old males. These results suggest that middle-aged males are more advantageous for female fitness than young and old males.
KeywordsMale age Colaphellus bowringi female mate preference mating duration longevity fecundity fertility
The research was supported by a grant from National Natural Science Foundation of P.R. China (31000176).
- Andersson M (1994) Sexual selection. Princeton University Press, PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- Beck CW, Powell LA (2000) Evolution of female mate choice based on male age: are older males better mates? Evol Ecol Res 2:107–118Google Scholar
- Beck CW, Shapiro B, Choksi S, Promislow DEL (2002) A genetic algorithm approach to study the evolution of female preference based on male age. Evol Ecol Res 4:275–292Google Scholar
- Martin OY, Leugger RR, Zeltner N, Hosken DJ (2003) Male age, mating probability and mating costs in the fly Sepsis cynipsea. Evol Ecol Res 5:119–129Google Scholar
- Pervez A, Omkar, Richmond AS (2004) The influence of age on reproductive performance of the predatory ladybird beetle, Propylea dissecta. J Insect Sci 4:1–8Google Scholar
- Thornhill R, Alcock J (1983) The evolution of insect mating systems. Harvard University Press, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- Xue FS, Li AQ, Zhu XF, Gui AL, Jiang PL, Liu XF (2002b) Diversity in life history of the leaf beetle, Colaphellus bowringi Baly. Acta Entomol Sin 45:494–498Google Scholar
- Yamagishi M, Tsubaki Y (1990) Copulation duration and sperm transfer in the melon fly, Dacuscucurbitae Coquillett (Diptera: Tephritidae). Appl Entomol Zool 25:517–519Google Scholar