A Design of Mercury(II) Coordination Polymers with Pyridinedicarboxylic Acids: Structural, Spectroscopic and Thermal Studies
- 18 Downloads
Two novel mercury(II) coordination polymers, two-dimensional [HgCl(2,3-pydcH)(H2O)] n (1) and one-dimensional [HgCl(2,5-pydcH)(DMF)] n (2) (2,3-pydcH2 = pyridine-2,3-dicarboxylic acid; 2,5-pydcH2 = pyridine-2,5-dicarboxylic acid), were prepared in the reactions of the corresponding pyridinedicarboxylic acid with mercury(II) chloride. Their structures were solved by the single-crystal X-ray diffraction method. Both 2,3-pydcH− and 2,5-pydcH− are partially deprotonated bridging ligands which display similar coordination modes, acting as N,O-bidentate and O’-monodentate ligands in the structures of 1 and 2, respectively. The presence of DMF in the reaction mixture led to the formation of a 1D coordination polymer, while a 2D coordination polymer was formed in the absence of DMF. Spectroscopic analysis of 1 and 2 was performed by IR spectroscopy in the solid state and by 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy in the DMSO solutions. Thermal properties of the coordination polymers 1 and 2 were also investigated. NMR data support complete decomposition of 1 and a preserved polymeric structure of 2 in the DMSO solution.
KeywordsCoordination polymer 2D network Coordination mode Mercury(II) Pyridinedicarboxylic acids
This work was supported by University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia (Grant No. 118120281106) and by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia (Grant No. 119-1193079-1332).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 1.N.F. Sunday, Arc. Org. Inorg. Chem. Sci. 1, 1 (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.Z. Popović, G. Pavlović, D. Matković-Čalogović, Ž Soldin, Acta Crystallogr. C59, m165 (2003)Google Scholar
- 23.CCD CrysAlis, RED CrysAlis, Version 220.127.116.11. (Oxford Diffraction Ltd, Abingdon, 2008)Google Scholar
- 24.G.M. Sheldrick, Acta Crystallogr. C71, 3 (2015)Google Scholar
- 27.D. Milić, Ž Soldin, G. Giester, Z. Popović, D. Matković-Čalogović, Croat. Chem. Acta 82, 337 (2009)Google Scholar
- 31.R.F. Evans, W. Kynaston, J. Chem. Soc. 1005 (1962)Google Scholar