Energy Drink Use in University Students and Associated Factors
- 1.3k Downloads
The use of energy drinks is common among adolescents and young age groups. The purpose of this study was to determine energy drink consumption status in students at the Karadeniz Technical University in Turkey and the factors affecting this. The research was performed at the Karadeniz Technical University among a total of 2001 students attending the Administration Department, the Physical Education Department, the Psychological Counseling and Guidance Department and the Faculty of Medicine. The research data were collected using the supervised questionnaire method. The 53.5 % (n = 1070) of students had never tried energy drinks, 22.5 % (n = 450) had tried them once only, 1.5 % (n = 30) had used them for a time and then gave up, 21.1 % (n = 422) consumed occasionally and 1.4 % (n = 29) regularly. The risks of regular energy drink consuming were male gender [2.4 (1.8–3.2)] [OR (95 %CI)], studying at night [1.6 (1.2–2.2)], having friends consuming energy drinks [3.6 (2.6–5.0)], regular physical activity [1.9 (1.4–2.5)], being an alcohol drinker [2.4 (1.7–3.2)]. This study revealed that almost half of university students had experience of energy drinks and that approximately one-fourth still used them. It will be useful for these factors listed above to be borne in mind in the development of policies aimed at protecting young people from the health impacts of energy drinks.
KeywordsEnergy drink University student Alcohol Physical activity
- 1.Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Gıda Tarım ve Hayvancılık Bakanlığı Gıda ve Kontrol genel Müdürlüğü Türk Gıda Kodeksi Yönetmeliği Enerji İçecekleri Tebliği. Internet address: http://www.gkgm.gov.tr/mevzuat/kodeks/2006-47.html. Accessed 19 Mar 2013.
- 3.http://www.burn.com.tr/pages/landing/urunler.html. Accessed 23 Mar 2013.
- 6.Mandy Rath, BSN, FNP-s. (2012). Energy drinks: What is all the hype? The dangers of energy drink consumption. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 24(2), 70–76.Google Scholar
- 12.Funda İsçioğlu, Gülden Ova, Yasin Duyar, Mustafa Köksal. (2010). Üniversite öğrencileri arasındaki enerji içeceği tüketimi ve bilinci araştırması. Akademik Gıda, 8(5), 6–11.Google Scholar
- 13.Hidiroglu, S., Tanriover, O., Unaldi, S., Sulun, S., & Karavus, M. (2013). A survey of energy-drink consumption among medical students. Jounal of Pakistan Medical Association, 63(7), 842–845.Google Scholar
- 15.Malinauskas, B. M., Aeby, V. G., Overton, R. F., Carpenter-Aeby, T., & Barber-Heidal, K. (2007). A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college students. Nutrition Journal, 6(35), 41.Google Scholar
- 16.http://www.gidaraporu.com/genclik-icin-tehlike_g.html. Accessed 10 Dec 2013.
- 17.http://brandtalks.org/2013/04/turkiyede-enerji-icecekleri-pazari-ve-markalari-ne-durumda/. Accessed 10 Dec 2013.
- 19.Skewes, M. C., DeCou, C. R., & Gonzalez, V. M. (2013). Energy drink use, problem drinking and drinking motives in a diverse sample of Alaskan college students. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 72, 21204.Google Scholar
- 20.Ballisteri, M.C., Corradi-Webster, C. M. (2008). Consumption of energy drinks among physical education students. Rev Latino-am Enfermagem. 16(especial): 558–64.Google Scholar