Factors Associated with Program Utilization of Radiation Therapy Treatment for VHA and Medicare Dually Enrolled Patients
- 155 Downloads
We examine how distance to a Veterans Health Administration (VHA) facility, patient hometown classification (e.g., small rural town), and service-connected disability are associated with veterans’ utilization of radiation therapy services across the VHA and Medicare. In 2008, 45,914 dually-enrolled veteran patients received radiation therapy. Over 3-quarters (35,513) of the patients received radiation therapy from the Medicare program. Younger age, male gender, shorter distance to a VHA facility, and VHA priority or disability status increased the odds of utilizing the VHA. However, veterans residing in urban areas were less likely to utilize the VHA. Urban dwelling patients’ utilization of Medicare instead of the VHA suggests a complex decision that incorporates geographic access to VHA services, financial implications of veteran priority status, and the potential availability of multiple sources of radiation therapy in competitive urban markets.
KeywordsAccess Medicare Veterans Dually eligible Radiation
This project was supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Service (VA HSR&D; PPO 10-095). Special thanks to Patricia J. Gheen, National Director of VHA Fee-Basis and Purchased Care, for her insight and expertise.
- 2.Department of Veterans Affairs. (2011). VA disability compensation. Available at http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/compensation/. Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 3.Veterans Information Resource Center. (2011). VA/CMS data for research. Available at http://www.virec.research.va.gov/DataSourcesName/VA-CMS/VACMSbackground.htm. Accessed August 2, 2011.
- 4.VHA PSSG. (2011). Policy and planning, planning systems support group (PSSG). Available at VA Intranet http://vaww.pssg.med.va.gov/. Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 6.University of Washington Rural Health Research Center. (2011). RUCA data. Available at http://depts.washington.edu/uwruca/ruca-data.php, Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 7.Department of Veterans Affairs. (2007). Annual survey of veteran enrollees’ health and reliance upon VA. Available at http://www.va.gov/HEALTHPOLICYPLANNING/reports/2007SOEReport.pdf. Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 8.Department of Veterans Affairs. (2008). Annual survey of veteran enrollees’ health and reliance upon VA. Available at http://www.va.gov/healthpolicyplanning/SoE2008/2008_SoE_Report.pdf. Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 9.Department of Veterans Affairs. (2010). Survey of veteran enrollees’ health and reliance upon VA. Available at http://www.va.gov/HEALTHPOLICYPLANNING/Soe2010/SoE_2010_Final.pdf. Accessed November 14, 2011.
- 13.VA Centralized Cancer Registry. (2011). Site DX by year. Available at VHA intranet at http://vaww1.va.gov/cancer/. Accessed November 14, 2011.