Updates of the Prevalence of Problem Gambling in Romanian Teenagers
The aim of this study was to find out what is the prevalence of pathological in Romanian teenagers. We questioned one thousand thirty-two teenagers in Cluj-Napoca and Harghita counties. Participants completed a questionnaire with 40 items including gamblers anonymous twenty questions. The sample included teenagers aged 11–19 years; 65.57% were male and 34.43% were female. The subjects were divided into three groups: non-gambling/recreational gambling or occasional gambling (0–1 positive answers —Level 1)—753 subjects (72.96%) [316 females and 437 males]; problem gambling (2–6 points—Level 2)—243 subjects (23.54%) [43 females and 200 males]; pathological gambling (above 7 points—Level 3)—36 subjects (3.48%) [3 females and 33 males]. The mean age of pathological gamblers was 16.48 years. Gender differences were as expected, males engaging in pathological gambling (91.66% from pathological gamblers) more than females did (8.33% from pathological gamblers). Data revealed that the most encountered games practiced weekly were sport bets and slot machines in the case of 36.11% of the pathological gamblers; lotto, internet casino and pool bets each with 25%, followed by roulette and black-jack with 22.22%.From those who reported practicing gambling at a pathological level 66.66% engaged in alcohol consumption, 13.88% illicit drug use and 19.44% licit drugs. Just 16.66% smoke cigarettes. Data revealed higher rates of prevalence in Romanian teenagers than in other Central and Eastern European countries. A prevalence study at a national level should be designed.
KeywordsPrevalence Problem gambling Pathological gambling Romanian Children Adolescents Teenagers
- Derevensky, J. L., & Gupta, R. (1996). Risk-taking and gambling behavior among adolescents: An empirical examination. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Conference on Compulsive Gambling, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Derevensky, J. L., & Gupta, R. (2004). Adolescents with gambling problems: A synopsis of our current knowledge. eGambling: The Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues, 10. Available at http://www.camh.net/egambling.
- Gamblers Anonymous (1984). (3rd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Gamblers Anonymous Publishing.Google Scholar
- Griffiths, M. D. (2009). Problem gambling in Europe: An overview. International Gaming. Research Unit. Division of Psychology. Apex Communications, UK: Nottingham Trent University.Google Scholar
- Hayer, T., Griffiths, M. & Meyer, G. (2005). Gambling In T.P. Gullotta, G.R. Adams (Eds.) Handbook of adolescent behavioral problems: Evidence-based approaches to prevention and treatment (pp.467–486). Berlin: Springer Science Business Media, Inc.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V. (2009). Gambling in Romania. In G. Meyer, T. Hayer, & M. D. Griffiths (Eds.), Problem gambing in Europe: Challenges, prevention, and interventions. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V., Boros, S., Miu, A., Iftene, F. & Geru, A. (2001). Factori de risc pentru jocul patologic de noroc la adolescentii români. Revista SNPCAR, [Risk factors in pathological gambling in Romanian adolescents], SNPCAR Magazine, 4(4), 33–38.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V., Todiriţă, I. R. (2010). Problem Gambling in Romania: Updates, http://www.easg.org/media/file/vienna2010/presentations/Thursday/1600/P3/2_Viorel_Lupu_Izabela_Ramona_Todirita.pdf (Accessed July 17, 2011).
- Lupu,V. (2008). Jocul patologic de noroc la adolescenţi. [Pathological gambling in adolescents]. Cluj-Napoca, Editura Risoprint.Google Scholar
- Olason, D., & Gretarsson, S. J. (2009). Gambling in Germany. In G. Meyer, T. Hayer, & M. D. Griffiths (Eds.), Problem gaming in Europe: Challenges, prevention, and interventions. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rossow, I. & Hansen, M. (2003): Underholdning med bismak. Ungdom og pengespil [Entertainment with an after-taste. Money gambling among youths]. Report no. 1/03. Norsk Institut for forskning om oppvekst, velferd og aldring.Google Scholar
- Wynne, H. J., Smith, G, J., & Jacobs, D. F. (1996). Adolescent gambling and problem gambling in Alberta. Prepared for the Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission. Edmonton: Wynne Resources LTD. http://www.insse.ro/cms/files/RPL2002INS/vol1/tabele/t15.pdf (Accessed Sep 17, 2011).