Improving an Upper Bound on the Stability Number of a Graph
- 60 Downloads
In previous works an upper bound on the stability number of a graph based on quadratic programming was introduced and several of its properties were given. The graphs for which this bound is attained has been known as graphs with convex-QP stability number. This paper proposes a new upper bound on the stability number whose determination is also done by quadratic programming. It is proved that the new bound improves the above mentioned bound and several computational tests asserting its interest for large graphs are presented. In addition a necessary and sufficient condition for a graph to attain the new bound is proved. As a consequence a graph with convex-QP stability number also attains the new bound. On the other hand it is shown the existence of graphs attaining the new bound that do not belong to the class of graphs with convex-QP stability number. This allows to assert that the class of graphs with convex-QP stability number is strictly included in the class of graphs that attain the introduced bound. Some conclusions and lines for future work finalize the paper.
Keywordscombinatorial optimization graph theory maximum stable set quadratic programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alizadeh, F., Haeberly, J.-P., Nayakkankuppam, M.V., Overton, M.L., Schmieta, S. 1997SDPpack User’s Guide – Version 0.9 beta, Technical Report TR1997-737Courant Institute of Mathematical SciencesNYU, New York.Google Scholar
- Berge, C. (1991), Graphs, North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Bomze, I.M., Budinich, M., Pardalos, P.M. and Pelillo, M. (1999), The maximum clique problem. In: Du D.Z. and Pardalos, P.M. (eds), Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization, Vol. A, pp. 1–74. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Cvetkovic, D., Doob, M. and Sachs, H. (1979), Spectra of Graphs, Theory and Applications, VEB Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, Berlin (DDR).Google Scholar
- Helmberg, C. 2000Semidefinite Programming for Combinatorial OptimizationKonrad-Zuse-Zentrum für InformationstechnikBerlinGoogle Scholar
- Horn, R.A. and Johnson, C.R. (1985), Matrix Analysis, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Lozin, V.V. and Cardoso, D.M. (1999), On Hereditary Properties of the Class of Graphs with Quadratic Stability Number, Cadernos de Matemática, CM/I-50, Math. Dep. of Aveiro University.Google Scholar
- Peressini, A.L., Sullivan, F.E., Uhl, J.J. 1993The Mathematics of Nonlinear ProgrammingSpringerBerlinGoogle Scholar