Proof of Convergence for a Global Optimization Algorithm for Problems with Ordinary Differential Equations
- 135 Downloads
A deterministic spatial branch and bound global optimization algorithm for problems with ordinary differential equations in the constraints has been developed by Papamichail and Adjiman [A rigorous global optimization algorithm for problems with ordinary differential equations. J. Glob. Optim. 24, 1–33]. In this work, it is shown that the algorithm is guaranteed to converge to the global solution. The proof is based on showing that the selection operation is bound improving and that the bounding operation is consistent. In particular, it is shown that the convex relaxation techniques used in the algorithm for the treatment of the dynamic information ensure bound improvement and consistency are achieved.
KeywordsDeterministic global optimization ordinary differential equations proof of convergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Khayyal, F.A., Falk, J.E. 1983Jointly constrained biconvex programmingMathematics of Operations Research8273286Google Scholar
- Barton, P.I. and Lee, C.K. (2003), Global dynamic optimization of linear time varying hybrid systems, Dynamics of Continous Discrete and Impulsive Systems – Series B – Applications and Algorithms pp. 153–158.Google Scholar
- Falk, J.E., Soland, R.M. 1969An algorithm for separable nonconvex programming problemsManagement Science15550569Google Scholar
- Horst, R. and Tuy, H. (1996), Global Optimization. Deterministic Approaches. Springer-Verlag third edition, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Moore, R.E. 1966Interval AnalysisPrentice-HallEnglewood Cliffs, N.JGoogle Scholar
- Oh, S.H., Luus, R. 1977Use of orthogonal collocation methods in optimal control problemsInternational Journal of Control26657673Google Scholar
- Sargent, R.W.H. and Sullivan, G.R. (1978), The development of an efficient optimal control package. In: J. Stoer (ed.), Proceeding of 8th IFIP Conference on Optimization Techniques Part 2. Berlin, pp. 158–168, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Smith, E.M.B. and Pantelides, C.C. (1996), Global optimization of general process models, In: I.E. Grossmann (ed.), Global Optimization in Engineering Design, Series in nonconvex optimization and its applications. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht Chapt. 12, pp. 355–386.Google Scholar
- Tsang, T.H., Himmelblau, D.M., Edgar, T.F. 1975Optimal control via collocation and non-linear programmingInternational Journal of Control21763768Google Scholar
- Walter, W. 1970Differential and Integral InequalitiesSpringer-VerlagBerlinGoogle Scholar