An Approach to the Subproblem of the Cutting Angle Method of Global Optimization
- 60 Downloads
The solution of the Subproblem of the Cutting Angle Method of Global Optimization for problems of minimizing increasing positively homogeneous of degree one functions is proved to be NP-Complete. For the proof of this fact we formulate another problem which we call “Dominating Subset with Minimal Weight”. This problem is also NP-Complete. An O(n2)-time algorithm is presented for approximate solution of Dominant Subset with Minimal Weight Problem. This problem can be expressed as a kind of Assignment Problem in which it is allowed to assign multiple tasks to a single processor. Experimental analysis of the algorithm is performed using the program implemented in ANSI-C. The results of the analysis show the efficiency of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsAssignment Problem Cutting Angle Method Dominant Subset with Minimal Weight Problem Global Optimization Problem Heuristic Algorithm Knapsack Problem NP-Complete
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andramonov, M.Yu., Rubinov, A.M. and Glover B.M. (1997), Cutting Angle methods for minimizing increasing convex along rays functions. Research Report 97/7, SITMS, University of Ballarat.Google Scholar
- 3.Babayev, Dj.A. (2000), An exact method for solving the subproblem of the cutting angle method of global optimization. In: Optimization and Related Topics, in Kluwer Academic Publishers, ser. ‘Applied Optimization’, Dordrecht, Vol. 47, pp. 15–26.Google Scholar
- 5.Bagirov, A.M., Rubinov, A.M. 2001Modified versions of the cutting angle methodHadjisavvas, N.Pardalos, P.M. eds. Nonconvex Optimization and Its Applications Advances in Convex Analysis and Global OptimizationKluwer Academic PublishersDordrechtVol. 54Google Scholar
- 7.Garey, R.M., Johnson, D.S. 1979Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-CompletenessW.H. Freeman and CompanyNew York NYGoogle Scholar
- 8.Horst, R., Pardalos, P.M., Thoai, N.V. 2000Introduction to Global Optimization, Nonconvex Optimization and its ApplicationsKluwer Academic PublishersDordrechtVol. 48Google Scholar
- 9.Martello, S., Toth, P. 1990Knapsack Problems: Algorithms and Computer ImplementationsJohn Wiley and SonsChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rubinov, A.M. 2000Abstract Convexity and Global OptimizationKluwer Academic PublishersDordrechtGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rubinov, A.M., Andramonov, M. Yu. 1999Lipshitz programming via increasing convex along rays functionsOptimization Methods and Software10763781Google Scholar