Sex Testing or Gender Verification: Is There a Difference and Does it Matter?
KeywordsGender Role Gender Identity International Olympic Committee Body Morphology Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- American Psychological Association. (2001). Publication manual of the american psychological association (5th ed., p. 63). Washington: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Caplan, A. L. (2010). Fairer sex: the ethics of determining gender for athletic eligibility: commentary on “beyond the Caster Semenya controversy: the case of the use of genetics for gender testing in sport. JOGC, 19(6), 549–550.Google Scholar
- Hercher, L. (2010). Gender verification: a term whose time has come and gone. JOGC, 19(6), 551–553.Google Scholar
- IAAF Medical and Anti-Doping Commission. (2006). “IAAF Policy on Gender Verification.” International Association of Athletics Federations. Monaco. 28 Nov, 2010. http://www.iaaf.org/mm/document/imported/36983.pdf
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Understanding the Biology of Sex and Gender Differences, Board on Health Sciences Policy. “Exploring the Biological Contributions to Human Health: Does Sex Matter?” (2001). Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 28 November 2010. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10028&page=1
- Money J, Ehrhardt A. (1972). Man & Woman, Boy & Girl: Gender Identity from Conception to Maturity. Northvale, N.J.: Jason Aronson, 1996. Originally published: Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Schoenbucher V, Schweizer K, Rustige L, Schuetzmann K, Brunner F, Richter-Appelt H. (2010). Sexual quality of life of individuals with 46,XY disorders of sex development. J Sex Med Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- WHO. “Gender, women and health: What do we mean by “sex” and “gender”?” World Health Organization. 2010. Geneva, Switzerland. 28 November, 2010. http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/index.html
- Wonkam, A., Fieggen, K., & Ramesar, R. (2010). Beyond the Caster Semenya controversy: the case of the use of genetics for gender testing in sport. JOGC, 19(6), 545–548.Google Scholar
© National Society of Genetic Counselors, Inc. 2010