Influence of Amino Acid-Nucleobase Hybrid Ligand in Binding and Biological Activity of Co(II) and Zn(II) Complexes
Synthesis of new metallic complex of cobalt and zinc with amino acid-nucleobase hybrid ligand have been achieved by simple chemical reaction of metal salt with amino acid L-histidine and nucleobase adenine as ligands. Various physicochemical techniques such as elemental analysis, conductometric measurements, FT-IR, UV-visible, 1H & 13C NMR, mass spectroscopy and magnetic measurements were employed to characterize the complexes. The results confirmed the formation of the ligand and the complex. The interaction of the complex with calf thymus DNA (CT-DNA) has been carried out using UV-visible titration, fluorescence spectroscopy, cyclic voltammetry and viscosity measurements. The intrinsic binding constant (Kb) and Stern-Volmer constant (Ksv) of the complexes have been calculated. The cleavage activity of the ligand and the complexes with pBR322 DNA was further confirmed by gel electrophoretic technique. The pharmacological activity of the ligand and the complexes was investigated by antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activity, and they show promising pharmacological effect. The results of the molecular docking studies of the ligand and the complexes reinforce all the above facts.
KeywordsCo(II) complex Zn(II) complex Adenine Histidine DNA interaction Pharmacological effect
The authors thank the Principal, Management and Head of the Department of Chemistry, Head of the Department of Zoology Bishop Heber College, Trichy for providing necessary research facilities. The authors also gratefully acknowledge UGC, New Delhi for providing financial assistance under major research project (UGC File No. 42-238/2013 (SR)) to accomplish the work successfully.
- 2.Wang PH, Keck JG, Lien EJ, Lai MM (1990) Design, synthesis, testing, and quantitative structure-activity relationship analysis of substituted salicylaldehyde Schiff bases of 1-amino-3-hydroxyguanidine tosylate as new antiviral agents against coronavirus. J Med Chem 33(2):608–614CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bandyopadhyay S, Mukherjee GN, Drew MG (2006) Equilibrium studies on mixed ligand complex formation of Co (II), Ni (II), Cu (II) and Zn (II) with N-(2-hydroxybenzyl)-l-histidine (H 2 hb-l-his) and typical N, N donor ligands: Crystal structure of [Ni (hb-l-his)(bipyridine)]· H 2 O complex. Inorg Chim Acta 359(10):3243–3251CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Perrin DD, Armarego WL, Perrin DR (1980) Purification of Laboratory Chemicals, 2nd edn. Pergamon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 22.Xiong Y, He XF, Zou XH, JZ W, Chen XM, Ji LN, Li RH, Zhou JY, Yu KB (1999) Interaction of polypyridyl ruthenium (II) complexes containing non-planar ligands with DNA. Dalton Trans (1):19–24Google Scholar
- 38.Nagaraj K, Velmurugan G, Sakthinathan S, Venuvanalingam P, Arunachalam S (2014) Influence of self-assembly on intercalative DNA binding interaction of double-chain surfactant Co (iii) complexes containing imidazo [4, 5-f][1, 10] phenanthroline and dipyrido [3, 2-d: 2′-3′-f] quinoxaline ligands: experimental and theoretical study. Dalton Trans 43(48):18074–18086CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Thankamony M, Mohanan K (2007) Synthesis, spectral studies, thermal decomposition kinetics, reactivity and antibacterial activity of some lanthanide (III) nitrate complexes of 2-(N-indole-2-one) amino-3-carboxyethyl-4, 5, 6, 7-tetrahydrobenzo-(b) thiophene. Indian J Chem A 46(2):247Google Scholar