Location of Novel Benzanthrone Dyes in Model Membranes as Revealed by Resonance Energy Transfer
- 151 Downloads
Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) between anthrylvinyl-labeled phosphatidylcholine (AV-PC) as a donor and newly synthesized benzanthrones (referred to here as A8, A6, AM12, AM15 and AM18) as acceptors has been examined to gain insight into molecular level details of the interactions between benzanthrone dyes and model lipid membranes composed of zwitterionic lipid phosphatidylcholine and its mixtures with anionic lipids cardiolipin (CL) and phosphatidylglycerol (PG). FRET data were quantitatively analyzed in terms of the model of energy transfer in two-dimensional systems taking into account the distance dependence of orientation factor. Evidence for A8 location in phospholipid headgroup region has been obtained. Inclusion of CL and PG into PC bilayer has been found to induce substantial relocation of A6, AM12, AM15 and AM18 from hydrophobic membrane core to lipid-water interface.
KeywordsBenzanthrone dyes Lipid membranes Resonance energy transfer
This work was supported by the grant from Fundamental Research State Fund (project number F.54.4/015) and CIMO Fellowship (OZ).
- 1.Dobretsov G, Dmitriev V, Pirogova L, Petrov V, Vladimirov Y (1978) 4-Dimethylaminochalcone and 3-methoxybenzanthrone as fluorescent probes to study biomembranes. III Relationship between state of hydration shell of membrane and state of phospholipids. Stud Biophys 71:189–196Google Scholar
- 8.Refat M, Aqeel S, Grabtchev I (2004) Spectroscopic and physicochemical studies of charge-transfer complexes of some benzanthrone derivatives “Luminophore Dyes” with iodine as σ-acceptor. Can J Anal Sci Spectrosc 49:258–265Google Scholar
- 15.Molotkovsky J, Dmitriev P, Nikulina L, Bergelson L (1979) Synthesis of new fluorescent labeled phosphatidylcholines. Bioorg Khim 5:588–594Google Scholar
- 17.Bulychev A, Verchoturov V, Gulaev B (1988) Current methods of biophysical studies. Vyschaya shkola, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ivkov V, Berestovsky G (1981) Dynamic structure of lipid bilayer. Nauka, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 31.Wiener M, White S (1992) Structure of a fluid dioleoylphosphatidylcholine bilayer determined by joint refinement of X-ray and neutron diffraction data. Biophys J 61:437–447Google Scholar
- 36.Mukherjee S, Raghuraman H, Chattopadhyay A (2007) Membrane localization and dynamics of Nile Red: effect of cholesterol. Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:58–66Google Scholar