Synthesis, Structural, Thermal and Photo-Physical Properties of Triazine Based NLO Material
- 354 Downloads
Three novel triazine based organic chromophores with D-π-A (Donor-π system- Acceptor) push-pull type have been synthesized from 2, 4-diamino-6-phenyl-1,3,5-triazine as a starting material. Structures of all the three compounds have been confirmed by UV-Visible absorption, FT-IR, NMR and Mass spectral techniques. Their photo physical and thermal properties have been investigated. Among the three compounds, 6-phenyl-2,4-((4-amino-1,5-dimethyl-2-phenyl pyrazol-3-ylidene)(4-nitro benzylidene))-diamino-1, 3, 5-triazine (NDP) showed positive solvatochromism compared to the other two compounds. The absorption in the UV region of these three compounds were found to be less dependent on solvent polarities, whereas the red shifted fluorescence was strongly dependent on solvent polarities. The TGA data indicates that all the three compounds are stable up to 160 °C. Measurement of non linear optical properties showed that there is an increased second harmonic generation (SHG) efficiency with respect to urea indicating the existence of high molecular nonlinearity in NDP.
KeywordsFluorescence Solvatochromism Intra molecular charge transfer SHG
Authors thank the Management of Thiagarajar College, Madurai and one of the authors (PT) and thank the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), New Delhi for financial support, SAIF, IIT Chennai, and CECRI, Karaikudi for providing analytical facilities.
- 5.Cumpston BH, Ananthavel SP, Barlow S, Dyer DL, Ehrlich JE, Erskine LL, Heikal AA, Kuebler SM, Lee IYS, McCord-Maughon D, Quin J, Rockel H, Rumi M, Wu XL, Marder SR, Perry JW (1999) Two-photon polymerization initiators for three-dimensional optical data storage and microfabrication. Nature 398:51–54CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Jin X, Xia L, Llu C, Sun P, Guohua H, Cui Y (2005) Synthesis and two-photon induced fluorescence spectroscopy of a novel nonlinear optical chromophore. Chin Opt Lett 3:550–552Google Scholar
- 15.Vikas S, Padalkar SN (2011) Synthesis and characterization of novel 4-(1-(4-(4-(4-aminophenyl)-1H-pyrazol-1yl)-6-(4-(diethylamino)phenyl)-1,3,5-triazin-2-yl)-1H-pyrazol-4-yl)benzenamine fluorescent dye for protein binding. Current Chemistry Letters 1:1–12Google Scholar
- 20.Mohamed GG, Omar M, Hindy AM (2006) Metal complexes of Schiff bases. Turk J Chem 30:361–382Google Scholar
- 22.Spinu C, Kriza A (2000) Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) complexes of bidendate Schiff bases. Acta Chim Slov 47:179–185Google Scholar
- 23.Spinu C, Pleniceanu M, Tigae C (2008) Biologically active transition metal chelates with a 2-Thiophenecarboxaldehyde-derived schiff base: synthesis, characterization and antibacterial properties. Turk J Chem 32:487–493Google Scholar
- 24.Dolaz M, Tumer M, Golcu A (2001) Synthesis and Spectrophotometric investigation of a new vic-Dioxime ligand and its transition metal complexes. Turk J Chem 25:491–500Google Scholar
- 26.Sari N (2003) Antibacterial activities of some new amino acid-schiff bases. G U Journal of Science 16:283–288Google Scholar
- 32.Yue Zhi CUI, Qi FANG, Hong LEI, Gang XUE, Wen Tao YU (2003) The structure and non linear optical properties of octupolar compound: 2,4,6-tristyryl-s-triazine. Chin Chem Lett 14:856–859Google Scholar
- 34.Chaudhari JA, Patel RP (2010) Synthesis, characterization, composites fabrication and antimicrobial activity of piperazinylo bisarylhydrazino-s-triazine derivatives. International Journal of Chem Tech Research 2:1949–1954Google Scholar