Synthesis and Photophysics of Some Novel Imidazole Derivatives Used as Sensitive Fluorescent Chemisensors
- 508 Downloads
Some novel imidazole derivatives were developed for highly sensitive chemisensors for transition metal ions. Since these compounds are sensitive to different external stimulations such as UV irradiation, heat, increasing pressure and changing the environmental pH causing colour change and so they can be used as a ′multi-way′ optically switchable material. A prominent fluorescence enhancement was found in the presence of transition metal ions such as Hg2+, Pb2+ and Cu2+ and this was suggested to result from the suppression of radiationless transitions from the n-π* state in the chemisensors. The existence of C-H….O intramolecular hydrogen bonding in dmphnpi is confirmed by the Natural Bond Orbital analysis (NBO). The Mulliken, NBO charge analysis and the HOMO-LUMO energies were also calculated. The electric dipole moment (μ) and the first-hyperpolarisability (β) value of the investigated molecules have been studied both experimentally and theoretically which reveal that the synthesized molecules have microscopic non-linear optical (NLO) behaviour with non-zero values. Ground and excited state DFT calculation were carried out in order to find out dipole moment and energy.
KeywordsNMR Emission kinetics Chemisensors NLO HOMO-LUMO
One of the author Dr. J. Jayabharathi, Reader in Chemistry, Annamalai University is thankful to Department of Science and Technology [No. SR/S1/IC-07/2007], University Grants commission (F. No. 36-21/2008 (SR)) for providing fund to this research work.
- 3.Chen CH, Shi J (1998) Metal chelates as emitting materials for organic electroluminescence. Coord Chem Rev 171:161–174Google Scholar
- 10.Ucucu U, Karaburun NG, Isikdag I (2001) Synthesis and analgesic activity of some 1-benzyl-2-substituted-4, 5-diphenyl-1H-imidazole derivatives. I L Farmaco 56:285–290Google Scholar
- 16.Guassian 03 program, (Gaussian Inc., Wallingford CT) 2004Google Scholar
- 19.Ren P, Liu T, Qin J, Chen C (2003) A new approach to suppress nonlinearity-transparency trade-off through coordination chemistry: syntheses and spectroscopic study on second-order nonlinear optical properties of a series of square-pyramidal zinc(II) complexes. Spectrochim Acta A 59:1095–1101CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Balamurali MM, Dogra SK (2004) Intra- and Intermolecular proton transfer in methyl-2-hydroxynicotinate. J Luminescence 110:147–163Google Scholar
- 46.Padmaja L, Ravikumar C, Sajan D, Hubert Joe I, Jayakumar VS, Pettit GR, Faurskov Neilsen O (2009) Density functional study on the structural conformations and intramolecular charge transfer from the vibrational spectra of the anticancer drug combretastatin-A2. J Raman Spectrosc 40:419–428CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 51.Silverstein M, Clayton Basseler G, Morill C (1981) Spectrometric identification of organic compounds. Wiley, New yorkGoogle Scholar