Efficiency Enhancement of a 170 GHz Confocal Gyrotron Traveling Wave Tube
- 156 Downloads
Confocal gyrotron traveling wave tube (gyro-TWT) is a novel gyrotron amplifier capable of operating in higher order modes while generating high power at the same time. Confocal gyro-TWT suppresses lower-order modes at the cost of reduction of efficiency. According to the characteristics of confocal system, in this paper, we theoretically design a special magnetron injection gun (MIG) for a 170 GHz confocal gyro-TWT, and then compare it with the traditional MIG. The efficiency is found to be as high as 33 %, deservedly higher than the traditional less than 10 %. The output power increases trebly accordingly.
KeywordsConfocal Gyro-TWT Efficiency Special MIG
This work is supported in part by the national Basic Research Program under Grant 2014 CB33980 and in part by the national Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant 61231005.
- 4.K. Mizuno, Y. Wagatsuma, H. Warashina, K. Sawaya, Millimeter-wave imaging technologies and their applications, in 2007 8th IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC 2007), (2007), pp. 13–14Google Scholar
- 5.A.V. Gaponov-Grekhov, V.L. Granatstein, Applications of High-Power Microwaves (Artech House, Boston, 1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Y.Y. Lau, K.R. Chu. L.R. Barmett, V.L. Granatstein, Gyrotron traveling wave amplifier: I. Analysis of oscillation. Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves. 2, 3, 373–395 (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.D.B. McDermott, H.H. Song, Y. Hirata, A.T. Lin, L.R. Barnett, T.H. Chang, H.L. Hsu, P.S. Marandos, J.S. Lee, K.R. Chu, N.C. Luhmann, Design of a W-band TE01 mode gyrotron-traveling-wave amplifier with high power and broad-band capabilities. IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 30(3), 894–902 (2002)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.C.D. Joye, A novel wideband 140 GHz gyrotron amplifier. PhD Thesis, (Massachusetts Institution of Technology, 2008), pp. 30–32Google Scholar
- 16.W. Hu, Studies of novel 140 GHz gyrotrons. Ph.D. Thesis, (Massachusetts Institution of Technology, 1997), pp. 31–32Google Scholar
- 19.C.-S, Kou, The design procedure for a stable high power gyro-TWT. Ph.D. Thesis, (Massachusetts Institution of Technology, 1991) pp. 79–95Google Scholar