Simulation of the Flame Propagation in a Methane–Air Mixture in the Presence of Water Aerosol
- 51 Downloads
We have formulated a physicomathematical model of the flame propagation in a combustible gas containing water aerosol based on the thermal-diffusion model of the laminar flame propagation in a gas and taking into account the processes of heat and mass transfer between the phase and liquid drops. Computational-theoretical studies of the influence of water aerosol characteristics on the flame velocity in a lean methane–air mixture have been made. Comparison of the results of calculations with experimental data has shown that there is good agreement between them. Comparison of the efficiency of using water aerosol and inert gas to stop the spread of fire has shown that there exists a limiting size of the dispersed phase above which the efficiency of using water aerosol and inert powders to stop the spread of fire becomes equal.
Keywordscombustible gas water aerosol flame front computational modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. M. Petrukhin, M. I. Netseplyaev, V. N. Kachan, and V. S. Sergeev, Prevention of Dust Explosions in Coal Mines [in Russian], Nedra, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.M. I. Netseplyaev, A. I. Lyubimova, P. M. Petrukhin, E. P. Ploskogolovyi, and N. S. Surgai, Prevention of Coal Dust Explosions in Mines [in Russian], Nedra, Moscow (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Ya. B. Zel′dovich, G. I. Barenblatt, V. B. Librovich, and G. M. Makhviladze, Mathematical Theory of Combustion and Explosion [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.E. I. Gubin and I. G. Dik, Flame propagation in a dust-laden gas, Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, 23, No. 6, 25–29 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Yu. Krainov and V. A. Shaurman, On the limits of flame propagation through a dust-laden gas, Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, 33, No. 4, 14–20 (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.E. I. Gubin, I. G. Dik, and A. Yu. Krainov, Inhibition of gas flames by powder compositions, Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, 25, No. 2, 57–62 (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Yu. Krainov, Flame propagation in a mixture of combustible gases and particles, Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, 36, No. 2, 3–9 (2000).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Yu. Krainov and V. A. Shaurman, Inhibition of gas flames by dropping liquid aerosol, Fiz. Goren. Vzryva, 32, No. 4, 55–61 (1996).Google Scholar