Separation of a Gaseous Mixture in Nanosize Channels. The Role of Surface Diffusion
The separation coefficient has been calculated for membranes with nanometer-size pores. In the calculations, account was taken of surface diffusion and of the dependence of the surface-diffusion coefficient on the surface coverage which was determined within the framework of the Langmuir isotherm describing competing adsorption. An analytical solution of the problem has been obtained for mixture flow in single-layer membranes. It has been shown that in the case of a mixture we have the mutual influence of the components on the transfer even in the absence of their formal interaction. In ultrathin channels, there can be a situation where the character of separation of the components is reversed compared to that predicted in the model of free-molecular mixture flow.
Keywordsmembranes nanosize pores mixture flow separation coefficient adsorption surface diffusion mutual influence of the components
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. V. Volkov, B. V. Mchedishvili, V. I. Roldugin, et al., Membranes and nanotechnologies, Ros. Nanotekhnol., 3, Nos. 11−12, 67−99 (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.M. I. Magsumov, M. I. Fedotov, M. V. Tsodikov, et al., Laws governing the progress of reactions of Cl substrates in catalytic nanoreactors, Ros. Nanotekhnol., 1, Nos. 1−2, 142−152 (2006).Google Scholar
- 9.V. I. Roldughin, V. M. Zhdanov, and E. E. Sherysheva, Effect of surface gas diffusion on the asymmetry of the permeability of bilayer porous membranes, Kolloid. Zh., 74, No. 6, 754−756 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.V. M. Zhdanov, V. I. Roldughin, and E. E. Sherysheva, On the gas-separating properties of bilayer porous membranes, Kolloid. Zh., 72, No. 5, 627−634 (2010).Google Scholar
- 12.S. De Groot and P. Mazur, Non-equilibrium Thermodynamics [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1964).Google Scholar
- 13.E. A. Mason and A. P. Malinauskas, Gas Transport in Porous Media: the Dusty-Gas Model [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar