Determination of the rheological properties of whole blood by the nonstationary method of pulsed changing of the rate of shear
Problems associated with the use of the nonstationary method of pulsed changing of the rate of shear for the measurement of important viscoplastic properties of whole blood — the critical shear stress τ0 and the plastic viscosity μp — are considered. The indicated method was compared to the method of stationary rheometry. It is shown that the blood-flow curve obtained by this method, unlike that obtained by the stationary method, characterizes a viscoplastic medium. To calculate the parameters of this medium exactly, it is necessary to take into account the dependence of the rate of shear on the above-indicated parameters.
KeywordsViscosity Shear Stress Statistical Physic Stationary Method Rheological Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. K. Baskurt, Pathophysiological significance of blood rheology, Turk. J. Med. Sci., 33, 347–355 (2003).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Chien, Red cell deformability and its relevance to blood flow, Ann. Rev. Physiol., 49, 177–192 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.D. E. McMillan, J. Strigberger, and N. G. Utterback, Rapidly recovered transient flow resistance: A newly discovered property of blood, Am. J. Physiol., 253, No. 4, Pt. 2, 919–926 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.D. E. McMillan, N. G. Utterback, M. Nasrinasrabadi, and M. M. Lee, An instrument to evaluate the time dependent flow properties of blood at moderate shear rates, Biorheology, 23, No. 1, 63–74 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.S. P. Sutera, M. D. Nowak, J. H. Joist, D. J. Zeffren, and J. E. Bauman, A programmable, computer-controlled cone-plate viscometer for the application of pulsatile shear stress to platelet suspensions, Biorheology, 25, No. 3, 449–459 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Charara, A. Aurengo, J. C. Lelievre, and C. Lacombe, Quantitative characterization of blood rheological behavior in transient flow with a model including a structure parameter, Biorheology, 22, No. 6, 509–520 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Z. P. Shul’man, V. A. Mansurov, and N. P. Mit’kovskaya, Patent BY No. 1013, MPK G 01N 11/14. Applied on 15.04.2003. Published in: Official Bull. of the State Patent Dept. of the Republic of Belarus, No. 3 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Mansurov and V. V. Kulebjakin, Transient method measuring blood rheology, EUROMECH 389, Physiological flows and flow-structure interaction, Graz, Austria (1999), p. 19.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. P. Shulman, V. A. Mansurov, and A. A. Makhaniok, Simulation of non-steady flow of linear viscoplastic media, Inzynieria chemichna i procesowa, 21, 219–224 (2000).Google Scholar