Determination of the rheological properties of whole blood by the nonstationary method of pulsed changing of the rate of shear
- 37 Downloads
Problems associated with the use of the nonstationary method of pulsed changing of the rate of shear for the measurement of important viscoplastic properties of whole blood — the critical shear stress τ0 and the plastic viscosity μp — are considered. The indicated method was compared to the method of stationary rheometry. It is shown that the blood-flow curve obtained by this method, unlike that obtained by the stationary method, characterizes a viscoplastic medium. To calculate the parameters of this medium exactly, it is necessary to take into account the dependence of the rate of shear on the above-indicated parameters.
KeywordsViscosity Shear Stress Statistical Physic Stationary Method Rheological Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.O. K. Baskurt, Pathophysiological significance of blood rheology, Turk. J. Med. Sci., 33, 347–355 (2003).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Chien, Red cell deformability and its relevance to blood flow, Ann. Rev. Physiol., 49, 177–192 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.D. E. McMillan, J. Strigberger, and N. G. Utterback, Rapidly recovered transient flow resistance: A newly discovered property of blood, Am. J. Physiol., 253, No. 4, Pt. 2, 919–926 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.D. E. McMillan, N. G. Utterback, M. Nasrinasrabadi, and M. M. Lee, An instrument to evaluate the time dependent flow properties of blood at moderate shear rates, Biorheology, 23, No. 1, 63–74 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.S. P. Sutera, M. D. Nowak, J. H. Joist, D. J. Zeffren, and J. E. Bauman, A programmable, computer-controlled cone-plate viscometer for the application of pulsatile shear stress to platelet suspensions, Biorheology, 25, No. 3, 449–459 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Charara, A. Aurengo, J. C. Lelievre, and C. Lacombe, Quantitative characterization of blood rheological behavior in transient flow with a model including a structure parameter, Biorheology, 22, No. 6, 509–520 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Z. P. Shul’man, V. A. Mansurov, and N. P. Mit’kovskaya, Patent BY No. 1013, MPK G 01N 11/14. Applied on 15.04.2003. Published in: Official Bull. of the State Patent Dept. of the Republic of Belarus, No. 3 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.V. A. Mansurov and V. V. Kulebjakin, Transient method measuring blood rheology, EUROMECH 389, Physiological flows and flow-structure interaction, Graz, Austria (1999), p. 19.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. P. Shulman, V. A. Mansurov, and A. A. Makhaniok, Simulation of non-steady flow of linear viscoplastic media, Inzynieria chemichna i procesowa, 21, 219–224 (2000).Google Scholar