Optimum turn-restricted paths, nested compatibility, and optimum convex polygons
We consider two apparently unrelated classes of combinatorial and geometric optimization problems. First, we give compact extended formulations, i.e., polynomial-size linear programming formulations with integer optima, for optimum path problems with turn restrictions satisfying a nested compatibility condition in acyclic digraphs. We then apply these results to optimum convex polygon problems in the plane, by interpreting certain dynamic programming algorithms as sequences of optimum turn-restricted path problems with nested compatibility in acyclic digraphs. As a result, we derive compact extended formulations for these geometric problems as well.
KeywordsShortest paths Turn restrictions Convex polygons Convex subsets Extended formulation Dynamic programming
This work was completed while the first author was serving as Research Director of CORE, the Center for Operations Research and Econometrics, Université catholique de Louvain, whose hospitality is gratefully acknowledged. The authors would like to thank the following colleagues for useful discussions and suggestions on optimum convex polygon and convex subset problems—in approximate chronological order: Marcos Goycoolea (Universidad Adolfo Ibañez), Jeremy Barbay (Universidad de Chile), Miguel Constantino (Universidade de Lisboa), Marek Chrobak (University of California, Riverside), Keno Merckx and Jean-Paul Doignon (Université Libre de Bruxelles).
- Balas E (1998) Disjunctive programming: properties of the convex hull of feasible points. GSIA Management Science Research Report MSRR 348, Carnegie Mellon University (1974), published as invited paper. Discrete Appl Math 89(1):3–44Google Scholar
- Bast H, Delling D, Goldberg A, Müller-Hannemann M, Pajor T, Sanders P, Wagner D, Werneck RF (2015) Route planning in transportation networks. arXiv:1504.05140
- Bucarey V, Ordóñez F, Bassaletti E (2015) Shape and balance in police districting. In: Applications of location analysis. Springer, Berlin, pp 329–347Google Scholar
- Delling D, Goldberg AV, Pajor T, Werneck RF (2011) Customizable route planning. In: Experimental algorithms. Springer, Berlin, pp 376–387Google Scholar
- Geisberger R, Vetter C (2011) Efficient routing in road networks with turn costs. In: Experimental algorithms. Springer, Berlin, pp 100–111Google Scholar
- Llorente IDP, Hoganson HM, Carson MT, Windmuller-Campione M (2017) Recognizing spatial considerations in forest management planning. Curr For Rep 3(4):308–316Google Scholar
- Vanegas P, Cattrysse D, Van Orshoven J (2010) Compactness in spatial decision support: a literature review. Comput Sci Appl ICCSA 2010:414–429Google Scholar
- Wilfong GT (1990) Motion planning for an autonomous vehicle. In: Autonomous robot vehicles. Springer, Berlin, pp 391–395Google Scholar