An improved distributed data aggregation scheduling in wireless sensor networks
This paper focuses on the distributed data aggregation collision-free scheduling problem, which is one of very important issues in wireless sensor networks. Bo et al. (Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009) proposed an approximate distributed algorithm for the problem and Xu et al. (Proc. ACM FOWANC, 2009) proposed a centralized algorithm and its distributed implementation to generate a collision-free scheduling for the problem, which are the only two existing distributed algorithms. Unfortunately, there are a few mistakes in their performance analysis in Bo et al. (Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009), and the distributed algorithm can not get the same latency as the centralized algorithm because the distributed implementation was not an accurate implementation of the centralized algorithm (Xu et al. in Proc. ACM FOWANC, 2009). According to those, we propose an improved distributed algorithm to generate a collision-free schedule for data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. Not an arbitrary tree in Bo et al. (Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009) but a breadth first search tree (BFS) rooted at the sink node is adopted, the bounded latency 61R+5Δ−67 of the schedule is obtained, where R is the radius of the network with respect to the sink node and Δ is the maximum node degree. We also correct the latency bound of the schedule in Bo et al. (Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009) as 61D+5Δ−67, where D is a diameter of the network and prove that our algorithm is more efficient than the algorithm (Bo et al. in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009). We also give a latency bound for the distributed implementation in Xu et al. (Proc. ACM FOWANC, 2009).
KeywordsDistributed approximation algorithm Data aggregation scheduling Collision-free Latency Wireless sensor networks
This paper was jointly supported in part by National Natural Science Foundation of China under grants 61070191 and 91124001, the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, and the Research Funds of Renmin University of China under grant 10XNJ032, and Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China under grant 20100004110001. Dr. Du was supported in part by National Natural Science Foundation of China under grant 61100191 and Natural Scientific Research Innovation Foundation of Harbin Institute of Technology under Project 2011128.
- Bo Y, Li J, Li Y (2009) Distributed data aggregation scheduling in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc IEEE INFOCOM Google Scholar
- Chen X, Hu X, Zhu J (2005) Minimum data aggregation time problem in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc the 1st MSN Google Scholar
- Clark BN, Colbourn CJ, Johnson DS (1990) Unit disk graphs. Discrete Math 86 Google Scholar
- Hsu L-H, Lin C-K (2008) Graph theory and interconnection networks. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton Google Scholar
- Huang SC-H, Wan P-J, Vu CT, Li Y, Yao F (2007) Nearly constant approximation for data aggregation scheduling in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc IEEE INFOCOM Google Scholar
- Krishnamachari B, Estrin D, Wicker S (2002) The impact of data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc ICDCSW, pp 575–578 Google Scholar
- Sundararaman B, Buy U, Kshemkalyani AD (2005) Clock synchronization for wireless sensor networks: a survey. In: Ad hoc networks Google Scholar
- Wan P-J, Alzoubi KM, Frieder O (2002) Distributed construction of connected dominating set in wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proc IEEE INFOCOM Google Scholar
- Wan P-J, Huang C-H, Wang L, Wan Z-Y, Jia X (2009) Minimum-latency aggregation scheduling in multihop wireless networks. In: Proc ACM MOBIHOC Google Scholar
- Wegner G (1986) Über endliche kreispackungen in der ebene. Studia Sci Math Hung 21 Google Scholar
- Xu X, Wang S, Mao X, Tang S, Li X (2009) An improved approximation algorithm for data aggregation in multi-hop wireless sensor networks. In: Proc ACM FOWANC Google Scholar
- Yu Y, Krishnamachari B, Prasanna VK (2004) Energy-latency tradeoffs for data gathering in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc IEEE INFOCOM Google Scholar