Minimum common string partition revisited
Minimum Common String Partition (MCSP) has drawn much attention due to its application in genome rearrangement. In this paper, we investigate three variants of MCSP: MCSP c , which requires that there are at most c elements in the alphabet; d-MCSP, which requires the occurrence of each element to be bounded by d; and x-balanced MCSP, which requires the length of blocks being in range (n/k−x,n/k+x), where n is the length of the input strings, k is the number of blocks in the optimal common partition and x is a constant integer. We show that MCSP c is NP-hard when c≥2. As for d-MCSP, we present an FPT algorithm which runs in O ∗((d!)2k ) time. As it is still unknown whether an FPT algorithm only parameterized on k exists for the general case of MCSP, we also devise an FPT algorithm for the special case x-balanced MCSP parameterized on both k and x.
KeywordsMinimum common string partition Genomic distance Genome rearrangement NP-completeness FPT algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chrobak M, Kolman P, Sgall J (2004) The greedy algorithm for the minimum common string partition problem. In: Proc of the 7th international workshop on approximation algorithms for combinatorial optimization problems (APPROX’04). LNCS, vol 3122, pp 84–95 Google Scholar
- Cormode G, Muthukrishnan S (2002) The string edit distance matching problem with moves. In: Proc of the 13th ACM-SIAM symposium on discrete algorithms (SODA’02), pp 667–676 Google Scholar
- Damaschke P (2008) Minimum common string partition parameterized. In: Proc of the 8th workshop on algorithms in bioinformatics (WABI’08). LNCS, vol 5251, pp 87–98 Google Scholar
- Flum J, Grohe M (2006) Parameterized complexity theory. Springer, Berlin Google Scholar
- Goldstein A, Kolman P, Zheng J (2004) Minimum common string partitioning problem: Hardness and approximations. In: Proc of the 15th international symp on algorithms and computation (ISAAC’04). LNCS, vol 3341, pp 473–484. Also in: Electron J Comb 12, R50 (2005) Google Scholar
- Jiang H, Zheng C, Sankoff D, Zhu B (2010) Scaffold filling under the breakpoint distance. In: Proc of the 8th annual RECOMB satellite workshop on comparative genomics (RECOMB-CG’10). LNBI, vol 6398, pp 83–92 Google Scholar
- Kolman P (2005) Approximating reversal distance for strings with bounded number of duplicates. In: Proc of the 30th international symposium on mathematical foundations of computer science (MFCS’05). LNCS, vol 3618, pp 580–590 Google Scholar