Maximizing Profits of Routing in WDM Networks
- 44 Downloads
Let G = (V, E) be a ring (or chain) network representing an optical wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) network with k channels, where each edge e j has an integer capacity c j . A request s i ,t i is a pair of two nodes in G. Given m requests s i ,t i , i = 1, 2, ..., m, each with a profit value p i , we would like to design/route a k-colorable set of paths for some (may not be all) of the m requests such that each edge e j in G is used at most c j times and the total profit of the set of designed paths is maximized. Here two paths cannot have the same color (channel) if they share some common edge(s).
This problem arises in optical communication networks. In this paper, we present a polynomial-time algorithm to solve the problem when G is a chain. When G is a ring, however, the optimization problem is NP-hard (Wan and Liu, 1998), we present a 2-approximation algorithm based on our solution to the chain network. Similarly, some results in a bidirected chain and a bidirected ring are obtained.
Keywordsminimum-cost flow routing path coloring approximation algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- U. Adamy, C. Ambuehl, R.S. Anand, and T. Erlebach, “Call control in rings,” in Proceedings of the 29th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming (ICALP 2002), LNCS 2380, Springer-Verlag, 2002, pp. 788–799.Google Scholar
- J. Edmonds and R.M. Karp, “Theoretical improvements in algorithmic efficiency for network flow problems,” Journal of Association for Computing Machinery, vol. 19, pp. 248–264, 1972.Google Scholar
- M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- C. Nomikos, A. Pagourtzis, and S. Zachos, “Minimizing request blocking in all-optical rings,” in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2003, pp. 1355–1361.Google Scholar
- P. Raghavan and E. Upfal, “Efficient routing in all-optical networks,” in Proceedings of the 26th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, 1994, pp. 134–143.Google Scholar
- A. Schrijver, Combinatorial Optimization: Polyhedra and Efficiency, Springer: The Netherlands, 2003.Google Scholar
- R. Tarjan, Data Structures and Network Algorithms, SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1983.Google Scholar
- P. Wan and L. Liu, “Maximal throughput in wavelength-routed optimal networks,” in P. Wan, D. Du and P. Pardalos (eds.), DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science vol. 46: Multichannel Optimal Networks—Theory and Practice, 1998, pp. 15–26.Google Scholar
- G. Wilfong and P. Winkler, “Ring routing and wavelength translation,” in Proceedings of the Ninth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA’98), San Francisco, California, 1998, pp. 333–341.Google Scholar