Rapid Biological Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Plant Seed Extracts and Their Cytotoxicity on Colorectal Cancer Cell Lines
- 310 Downloads
In this research we focused on the green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using Pimpinella anisum seed extract. Furthermore, we evaluated their cytotoxicity on colorectal cancer (CRC) cell lines. Our results revealed the anti-cancerous cytotoxic potential of green synthesized AgNPs. Green synthesized AgNPs exhibited high cytotoxicity on colorectal adenocarcinoma CRC cells. They selectively killed cancer cells through suppression of proliferation, cell cycle arrest at the G2/M phase, and induction of apoptosis. Interestingly, between the two different clones, SW620 cells were more sensitive than HCT8 cells. Overall, our findings suggest that AgNPs could be effective cancer chemotherapeutic agents or a combination nano-drug in future anti-cancer therapy.
KeywordsOptical properties Nano-drugs Colorectal cancer cell lines Nanostructures
This project was full financially supported by King Saud University, through Vice Deanship of Research Chairs. This synthesis method has won an US patent recently (US patent issued on September 29, 2015; Publication number US 9144544 B1).
- 2.V. V. Makarov, A. J. Love, O. V. Sinitsyna, S. S. Makarova, I. V. Yaminsky, M. E. Taliansky, and N. O. Kalinina (2014). Acta. Nat. 6, 35.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Kalaiarasi, N. Jayallakshmi, and P. Venkatachalam (2010). Plant Cell Biotechnol. Mol. Biol. 11, 1.Google Scholar
- 14.A. A. Ashour, D. Raafat, H. M. El-Gowelli, and A. H. El-Kamel (2015). Int. J. Nanomedicine. 10, 7207.Google Scholar
- 17.X. Yu, I. Trase, M. Ren, K. Duval, X. Guo, and Z. Chen (2016). J. Nanomater. 2016, 1087250.Google Scholar
- 27.S. Kobayashi, H. Yamada-Okabe, S. M. O. Natori, A. Kato, K. Matsubara, Y. Jau Chen, M. Yamazaki, S. Funahashi, K. Yoshida, E. Hashimoto, Y. Watanabe, H. Mutoh, M. Ashihara, C. Kato, T. Watanabe, T. Yoshikubo, N. Tamaoki, T. Ochiya, M. Kuroda, A. J. Levine, and T. Yamazaki (2012). Stem Cells. 30, 2631.CrossRefGoogle Scholar