Immunologist’s Perspectives on Assessment and Management of Lung Disease in CVID: a Survey of the Membership of the Clinical Immunology Society and the European Society for Immunodeficiencies
Over 350 primary immunodeficiency diseases are currently recognized. Other than selective IgA deficiency, common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) is the most common primary immunodeficiency disease . The prevalence of CVID is estimated to be one in 25,000, but this is at best an educated guess. An International Consensus Document (ICON)  has proposed a revised definition for CVID and compared it with the previously published criteria suggested by Ameratunga et al. . The usual practice is to use simpler criteria proposed by the European Society of Immune Deficiency Disorders (ESID) and Pan-American Group for Immunodeficiency (PAGID) .
Recurrent bacterial infections are a hallmark of CVID, the most common of which are sino-pulmonary infections. These may result in a chronic and progressive bronchiectasis. Patients with CVID are also prone to developing interstitial lung disease (ILD) (some with non-caseating granulomas) or ILD, and bronchiectasis may be present...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflicts of Interest
None of the authors received money or other reimbursement for their work on this project or have conflicts of interest.
- 5.Immune Deficiency Foundation. IDF annual report. Towson, MD; 2012 Contract No.: Document Number|.Google Scholar
- 6.Adams PF, Kirzinger WK, Martinez ME. Summary health statistics for the U.S. population: national health interview survey. Vital Health Stat 10. 2011;2012(255):1–110.Google Scholar
- 9.National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in adults: diagnosis and management. NICE Guideline (CG163). 2013.Google Scholar
- 12.Orange JS, Seeborg FO, Boyle M, Scalchunes C, Hernandez-Trujillo V. Family physician perspectives on primary immunodeficiency diseases. Front Med (Lausanne). 2016;3:12.Google Scholar
- 13.Yong PL, Boyle J, Ballow M, Boyle M, Berger M, Bleesing J, et al. Use of intravenous immunoglobulin and adjunctive therapies in the treatment of primary immunodeficiencies: a working group report of and study by the Primary Immunodeficiency Committee of the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology. Clin Immunol. 2010;135(2):255–63.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Maarschalk-Ellerbroek LJ, de Jong PA, van Montfrans JM, Lammers JW, Bloem AC, Hoepelman AI, et al. CT screening for pulmonary pathology in common variable immunodeficiency disorders and the correlation with clinical and immunological parameters. J Clin Immunol. 2014;34(6):642–54.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Altenburg J, de Graaff CS, Stienstra Y, Sloos JH, van Haren EH, Koppers RJ, et al. Effect of azithromycin maintenance treatment on infectious exacerbations among patients with non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: the BAT randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2013;309(12):1251–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Rogers GB, Bruce KD, Martin ML, Burr LD, Serisier DJ. The effect of long-term macrolide treatment on respiratory microbiota composition in non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: an analysis from the randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled BLESS trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2014;2(12):988–96.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Barker AF, O'Donnell AE, Flume P, Thompson PJ, Ruzi JD, de Gracia J, et al. Aztreonam for inhalation solution in patients with non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis (AIR-BX1 and AIR-BX2): two randomised double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trials. Lancet Respir Med. 2014;2(9):738–49.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Hurst JR, Verma N, Lowe D, Baxendale HE, Jolles S, Kelleher P, et al. British Lung Foundation/United Kingdom Primary Immunodeficiency Network consensus statement on the definition, diagnosis, and management of granulomatous-lymphocytic interstitial lung disease in common variable immunodeficiency disorders. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017;5(4):938–45.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Chase NM, Verbsky JW, Hintermeyer MK, Waukau JK, Tomita-Mitchell A, Casper JT, et al. Use of combination chemotherapy for treatment of granulomatous and lymphocytic interstitial lung disease (GLILD) in patients with common variable immunodeficiency (CVID). J Clin Immunol. 2013;33(1):30–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar