Long-Term Effects of IFN-γ, IL-10, and TGF-β-Modulated Dendritic Cells on Immune Response in Lewis Rats
- 75 Downloads
Increasing data have shown that IFN-γ, IL-10, and TGF-β-modulated dendritic cells (DC) provide a promising strategy in treatment of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis and experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis through different manner. To explore the immune response status after long-term application of these cytokine-modulated-DC, Lewis rats were injected subcutaneously into naive DC and IFN-γ, IL-10, and TGF-β-modulated DC (i.e., IFN-γ-DC, IL-10-DC, and TGF-β-DC) at does of 1 × 106 cells/rat every month for continuous 18 months, respectively. No rats suffered from decreased vigor and activity as well as cachectic condition during 18-month observation, and no rats had body-weight loss after 18-month treatment. Exploratory laparectomy did not find any tumor in all rats. IL-10-DC and TGF-β-DC resulted in lower nonspecific (Con A-induced) and antigen specific (ovalbumin-stimulated) spleen mononuclear cells proliferation, accompanied by lower levels of IFN-γ, IL-10, and TNF-α. On the contrary, IFN-γ-DC did not suppress cell proliferation and IFN-γ and IL-10 production except only slightly decreased TNF-α levels. These results suggest that IFN-γ-DC seems to be a more ideal candidate in the treatment of autoimmune diseases without suppressing immune response.
KeywordsAutoimmune disease cytokine dendritic cell proliferation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Xiao BG, Huang YM, Link H: Dendritic cell vaccine design: Strategies for eliciting peripheral tolerance as therapy of autoimmune diseases. Bio Drugs 17:103–111, 2003Google Scholar
- 3.Shortman K: Burnet oration: Dendritic cells: Multiple subtypes, multiple origins, multiple functions. Immunol Cell Biol 78:161–165, 2000Google Scholar
- 4.Liu YJ, Kanzler H, Soumelis V, Gilliet M: Dendritic cell lineage, plasticity and cross-regulation. Nat Immunol 2:585–589, 2001Google Scholar
- 6.Link H, Xiao BG: Rat models as tool to develop new immunotherapies. Immunol Rev 184:117–128, 2001Google Scholar
- 7.Yarilin D, Duan R, Huang YM, Xiao BG: Dendritic cells exposed in vitro to TGF-beta 1 ameliorate experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis. Clin Exp Immunol 127:214–219, 2002Google Scholar
- 8.Xiao BG, Wu XC, Yang JS, Xu LY, Liu X: Therapeutic potential of IFN-gamma-modified dendritic cells in acute and chronic experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Int Immunol 16:13–22, 2004Google Scholar
- 9.Shinomiya M, Fazle Akbar SM, Shinomiya H, Onji M: Transfer of dendritic cells (DC) ex vivo stimulated with interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) down-modulates autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice. Clin Exp Immunol 117:38–43, 1999Google Scholar
- 10.Duan RS, Bandara Adikari S, Huang YM, Link H, Xiao BG: Protective potential of experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis in Lewis rats by IL-10-modified dendritic cells. Neurobiol Dis 16:461–467, 2004Google Scholar
- 13.Fallarino F, Vacca C, Orabona C, Belladonna ML, Bianchi R: Functional expression of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase by murine CD8 alpha(+) dendritic cells. Int Immunol 14:65–68, 2002Google Scholar