Frequency-wavenumber spectra of equatorial waves detected from satellite altimeter data
- 121 Downloads
The sea surface height anomaly in the Pacific equatorial area was separated into equatorial modes using satellite altimeter data. The power-spectral density (PSD) was obtained for the east-west wavenumber and frequency for each separated mode. The PSD distribution was compared with the theoretical dispersion curve for the equatorial modes derived by Matsuno (1966). The first Rossby modes have a high-density distribution that is slightly lower than the theoretical dispersion curve, but the Kelvin mode and the higher Rossby modes have high-density distribution that almost matches each dispersion curve. Results of analyses of satellite observational data show that wave motion near the equator mainly shows characteristics of equatorial waves, especially for a intraseasonal time scale.
KeywordsEquatorial wave mode separation TOPEX/POSEIDON sea surface height Pacific Ocean
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AVISO (2006): SSALTO/DUACS User Handbook: (M)SLA and (M)ADT near-teal time and delayed time products. Publ., CLS-DOS-NT-06.034, France.Google Scholar
- Boulanger, J.-P. and L.-L. Fu (1996): Evidence of boundary reflection of Kelvin and first-mode Rossby waves from TOPEX/POSEIDON sea level data. J. Geophys. Res., 101, 16361–16371.Google Scholar
- Boulanger, J.-P. and C. Menkes (1995): Propagation and reflection of long equatorial wave in the Pacific ocean during the 1992–1993 El Niño. J. Geophys. Res., 100, 25041–25095.Google Scholar
- Delcroix, T., J.-P. Boulanger, F. Masia and C. Menkes (1994): Geosat-derived sea level and surface current anomalies in the equatorial Pacific during the 1986–1989 El Niño and La Niña. J. Geophys. Res., 99, 25093–25107.Google Scholar
- Matsuno, T. (1966): Quasi-geostrophic motions in equatorial areas. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 44, 25–43.Google Scholar
- Moore, D. W. and S. G. H. Philander (1977): Modeling of tropical oceanic circulation. p. 319–361. Vol. 6, The Sea, Wiley (Interscience).Google Scholar
- Tapley, B. D., D. P. Chamber, C. K. Shum, R. J. Eanes, J. C. Ries and R. H. Stewart (1994): Accuracy assessment of the large-scale dynamic ocean topography from TOPEX/ POSEIDON altimetry. J. Geophys. Res., 99, 24605–24617.Google Scholar