Synthesis and Characterization of Two New Mononuclear Complexes of Cobalt(II) with 7-Azaindole
- 245 Downloads
Two new complexes of cobalt(II) with 7-azaindole have been synthesized, and characterized by elemental analysis and FTIR spectroscopy, [(C2H5)3NH][Co(Haza)Cl3] 1, (where Haza = 7-azaindole), and [Co(Haza)2Cl2], 2. The crystal structures for 1 and 2 were determined by X-ray diffraction analysis. [(C2H5)3NH][Co(Haza)Cl3], 1, is monoclinic and crystallizes in the space group P2 1 /n with a = 12.9997 (2), b = 9.87449 (13), c = 13.9488 (2) Å, β = 104.0180 17)°. [Co(Haza)2Cl2], 2. is also monoclinic and crystallizes in the space group P2 1 /c with a = 12.453 (3), b = 9.3753 (18), c = 13.136 (3) Å, β = 98.728 (4). In both complexes the bonding to the Haza is via the pyridine N (N7), where the Haza is a neutral ligand, and the environment around the Co ions is distorted tetrahedral. Hydrogen bonding between the N1–H and Cl is present in 1 and 2, and determines the head to head alignment of the two Haza with respect to each other in 2. Additional hydrogen bonding links the cation and anion together in 1. FTIR confirms the presence of the neutral Haza in the both materials.
Two complexes of the 7-azaindole ligand with Co(II) are reported. Hydrogen bonding in [(C2H5)3NH][Co(Haza)Cl3], including a bifurcated H-bond from N3–H to Cl2 and Cl3 is shown.
KeywordsCobalt 7-Azaindole (1H-pyrrolol[2,3-b]pyridine) Mononuclear complexes X-ray structure Infrared spectra
The authors thank the Welch Foundation (AX-0026) and The University of Texas at San Antonio for support of this research.
- 13.Sheldrick WS (1982) Z Naturforsch 37:653–656Google Scholar
- 26.CrystalClear, User Manual, (2011) Rigaku/MSC Inc, Rigaku Corporation, The Woodlands TXGoogle Scholar
- 27.Higashi T (1995) ABSCOR Rigaku Corporation. TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 33.Nakamoto K (1997) Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds Part A, 5th edn. Wiley, Hoboken p192Google Scholar
- 34.Spectral Database for Organic Compounds, SDBS, No. 3145Google Scholar