13C APSY-NMR for sequential assignment of intrinsically disordered proteins
- 390 Downloads
The increasingly recognized biological relevance of intrinsically disordered proteins requires a continuous expansion of the tools for their characterization via NMR spectroscopy, the only technique so far able to provide atomic-resolution information on these highly mobile macromolecules. Here we present the implementation of projection spectroscopy in 13C-direct detected NMR experiments to achieve the sequence specific assignment of IDPs. The approach was used to obtain the complete backbone assignment at high temperature of α-synuclein, a paradigmatic intrinsically disordered protein.
KeywordsIntrinsically disordered proteins IDPs Assignment NUS 13C detection
The support and the use of resources of the CERM/CIRMMP center of Instruct-ERIC, a Landmark ESFRI project, is gratefully acknowledged. This work has been supported in part by a grant of the Fondazione CR di Firenze and by MEDINTECH (CTN01_001177_962865). MAECI is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Brutscher B, Felli IC, Gil-Caballero S, Hošek T, Kümmerle R, Piai A, Pierattelli R, Sólyom Z (2015) NMR methods for the study of instrinsically disordered proteins structure, dynamics, and interactions: general overview and practical guidelines. Adv Exp Med Biol 870:122Google Scholar
- Felli IC, Pierattelli R (eds) (2015b) Intrisically disordered proteins studied by NMR spectroscopy. Springer, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Hoch JC, Stern AS (2001) Nuclear magnetic resonance of biological macromolecules. Academic Press, Cambridge, pp 159–178Google Scholar
- Markley JL, Bax A, Arata Y, Hilbers CW, Kaptein R, Sykes BD, Wright PE, Wüthrich K (1998) Recommendations for the presentation of NMR structures of proteins and nucleic acids. IUPAC-IUPMB-IUPAB inter-union task group on the standardization of data bases of protein and nucleic acid structures determined by NMR spectroscopy. Eur J Biochem 256:1–15CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Motackova V, Nováček J, Zawadzka-Kazimierczuk A, Kazimierczuk K, Židek L, Sanderová H, Krásný L, Koźmiński W, Sklenář V (2010) Strategy for complete NMR assignment of disordered proteins with highly repetitive sequences based on resolution-enhanced 5D experiments. J Biomol NMR 48:169–177CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tóth G, Gardai SJ, Zago W, Bertoncini CW, Cremades N, Roy SL, Tambe MA, Rochet JC, Galvagnion C, Skibinski G, Finkbeiner S, Bova M, Regnstrom K, Chiou SS, Johnston J, Callaway K, Anderson JP, Jobling MF, Buell AK, Yednock TA, Knowles TP, Vendruscolo M, Christodoulou J, Dobson CM, Schenk D, McConlogue L (2014) Targeting the intrinsically disordered structural ensemble of α-synuclein by small molecules as a potential therapeutic strategy for Parkinson’s disease. PLoS ONE 9:e87133ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van der Lee R, Buljan M, Lang B, Weatheritt RJ, Daughdrill GW, Dunker AK, Fuxreiter M, Gough J, Gsponer J, Jones DT, Kim PM, Kriwacki RW, Oldfield CJ, Pappu RV, Tompa P, Uversky VN, Wright PE, Babu MM (2014) Classification of intrinsically disordered regions and proteins. Chem Rev 114:6589–6631CrossRefGoogle Scholar