Fabrication and evaluation of SixNy coatings for total joint replacements
Wear particles from the bearing surfaces of joint implants are one of the main limiting factors for total implant longevity. Si3N4 is a potential wear resistant alternative for total joint replacements. In this study, SixNy-coatings were deposited on cobalt chromium-discs and Si-wafers by a physical vapour deposition process. The tribological properties, as well as surface appearance, chemical composition, phase composition, structure and hardness of these coatings were analysed. The coatings were found to be amorphous or nanocrystalline, with a hardness and coefficient of friction against Si3N4 similar to that found for bulk Si3N4. The low wear rate of the coatings indicates that they have a potential as bearing surfaces of joint replacements. The adhesion to the substrates remains to be improved.
KeywordsWear Rate Silicon Nitride UHMWPE Wear Particle Total Joint Replacement
The authors are grateful for the financial support from the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF) Program in Materials for Nanoscale Surface Engineering (MS2E). Sandvik Materials Technology is recognised for providing substrate materials.
- 9.Jahanmir S. Friction and wear of ceramics. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 1994. p. 313–7.Google Scholar
- 17.Fisher J, Hu X, Tipper J, Stewart T, Williams S, Stone M, Davies C, Hatto P, Bolton J, Riley M, Hardaker C, Isaac G, Berry G, Ingham E. An in vitro study of the reduction in wear of metal-on-metal hip prostheses using surface-engineered femoral heads. Proc Inst Mech Eng. 2002;216:219–30.Google Scholar
- 18.Williams S, Tipper JL, Ingham E, Stone MH, Fisher J. In vitro analysis of the wear, wear debris and biological activity of surface-engineered coatings for use in metal-on-metal total hip replacements. Proc Inst Mech Eng. 2003;217:155–63.Google Scholar
- 29.Johnson KL. Contact mechanics. Cambridge: The Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge; 1985. p. 90–104.Google Scholar
- 30.ASTM and Standards. Standard test for wear testing of polymeric materials used in total joint prostheses. ASTM Int. F 732-00; (2003).Google Scholar
- 31.International Centre for Diffraction Data, Reference files: Cobalt PDF no. 15-0806.Google Scholar
- 32.International Centre for Diffraction Data, Reference files: Chromium PDF no. 88-2323.Google Scholar
- 33.International Centre for Diffraction Data, Reference files: Cobalt Molybdenum PDF no. 29-0488.Google Scholar
- 37.Klug DHP, Alexander LE. X-ray diffraction procedures for polycrystalline and amorphous materials. New York: Wiley. Inc; 1954. p. 491.Google Scholar
- 40.Nordling L, Östeman J. Physics handbook for science and engineering. Vol. 5. Lund: Studentlitteratur; 1980.Google Scholar