Effect of protein concentrations of bovine serum albumin and γ-globulin on the frictional response of a cobalt-chromium femoral head
The study aims to identify the concentration-dependent role of bovine serum albumin (BSA) and γ-globulin in the lubricating ability of a cobalt-chromium femoral head. The frictional coefficients of the cobalt-chromium femoral head decreased with increasing BSA concentrations from 10 to 40 mg/ml and showed statistical differences between any of the BSA concentration groups, except between the 30 and 40 mg/ml concentration groups. In γ-globulin, the frictional coefficients significantly decreased at concentrations of 2.5 and 5.0 mg/ml as compared with the PBS control group, but significant increases were observed at 7.5 and 12.5 mg/ml. These results suggest that the friction of the cobalt-chromium femoral head is dependent on the concentration of both BSA and γ-globulin. However, there is a maximum concentration for BSA to act as an effective boundary lubricant, while the lubricating ability of γ-globulin is most effective in the physiological concentration range within human synovial fluid.
KeywordsUHMWPE Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Frictional Coefficient Bearing Surface Bovine Serum Albumin Concentration
This research was supported by WCU (World Class University) program and Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (R33-10155, 2010-0021759).
- 4.Charnley J (1959) The lubrication of animal joints. Symposium on Biomechanics. Institute of Mechanical Engineers, London pp 12–22.Google Scholar
- 6.Linn F. Lubrication of animal joints. II. The mechanism. J Biomech. 1968;1:193–205.Google Scholar
- 20.Murakami T, Sawae Y, Nakashima K, Yarimitsu S, Sato T. Micro- and nanoscopic biotribological behaviours in natural synovial joints and artificial joints. P I Mech Eng J–J Eng. 2007;221:237–45.Google Scholar
- 27.Duong CT, Nam JS, Seo EM, Patro BP, Chang JD, Park S, et al. Tribological property of the cobalt-chromium femoral head with different regions of wear in total hip arthroplasty. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2010;224:541–9.Google Scholar
- 30.McPherson RA, Pincus MR. Henry’s Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc.; 2006.Google Scholar
- 32.Product information: Bovine serum albumin and gamma globulin. Retrieved from http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/DisplayMSDSContent.do.
- 35.Kageshima M, Ogiso H, Nakano S, Lantz MA, Tokumoto H. Atomic force microscopy cantilevers for sensitive lateral force detection. Jpn J Appl Phys 1. 1999;38:3958–61.Google Scholar
- 36.Cannara RJ, Eglin M, Carpick RW. Lateral force calibration in atomic force microscopy: A new lateral force calibration method and general guidelines for optimization. Rev Sci Instrum. 2006;77:-.Google Scholar