Investigations on the in vitro bioactivity of swift heavy oxygen ion irradiated hydroxyapatite
- 143 Downloads
The effect of swift heavy oxygen ion irradiation of hydroxyapatite on its in vitro bioactivity was studied. The irradiation experiment was performed using oxygen ions at energy of 100 MeV with 1 × 1012 and 1 × 1013 ions/cm2 fluence range. The irradiated samples were characterized by glancing angle X-ray diffraction (GXRD), photoluminescence spectroscopy (PL) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). GXRD showed that irradiated samples exhibited better crystallinity. The irradiated samples revealed an increase in PL intensity. In addition, the irradiated hydroxyapatite was found to have enhanced bioactivity.
KeywordsApatite Simulated Body Fluid Irradiate Sample Amorphous Calcium Phosphate Simulated Body Fluid Solution
This project was supported by Inter University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi, India and Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, India which is gratefully acknowledged.
- 3.Z.C. Wang, F. Chen, L.M. Huang, C.J. Lin, J. Mater. Sci. 40, 2461 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.J.C. Elliott, Structure Chemistry of the Apatites and Other Calcium Orthophosphates (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1998), p. 188Google Scholar
- 12.M. Mathew, S. Takagi, J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 106, 1035 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.J.F. Zeigler, J.P. Biersack, V. Littmark, The Stopping and Range of Ions in Solids (Pergamon Press, New York, 1985)Google Scholar
- 15.T. Kokubo, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 120, 138 (1990)Google Scholar