Surface silver-doping of biocompatible glasses to induce antibacterial properties. Part II: plasma sprayed glass-coatings
- 261 Downloads
A 57% SiO2, 3% Al2O3, 34% CaO and 6% Na2O glass (SCNA) has been produced in form of powders and deposited by plasma spray on titanium alloy and stainless steel substrates. The obtained coatings have been subjected to a patented ion-exchange treatment to introduce silver ions in the surface inducing an antibacterial behavior. Silver surface-enriched samples have been characterized by means of X-ray diffraction, SEM observation, EDS analysis, in vitro bioactivity tests, leaching tests by GFAAS (graphite furnace atomic adsorption spectroscopy) analyses, cells adhesion and proliferation, and antibacterial tests using Staphylococcus Aureus strain. In vitro tests results showed that the modified samples acquired an antimicrobial action against tested bacteria maintaining unaffected the biocompatibility of the glass. Furthermore the ion-exchange treatment can be successfully applied to glass-coated samples without affecting the properties of the coatings; the simplicity and reproducibility of the method make it suitable for glass or glass-ceramic coatings of different composition in order to produce coated devices for bone healing and/or prostheses, able to reduce bacterial colonization and infections risks.
KeywordsPlasma Spray Bioactive Glass Glass Coating Linear Thermal Expansion Coefficient Antibacterial Test
The authors would like to acknowledge INSTM, Eurocoating s.p.a., that partially funded the research activity and Dr. Arturo Sabbioni which has realized plasma spray coatings.
- 3.L. Rimondini, M. Fini, R. Giardino, J. Appl. Biomat. Biomech. 3, 1 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.J.Y. Maillard, S.P. Denyer, EWMA J. 1, 6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.J. Hardes, H. Ahrens, C. Gebert, A. Streitbuerger, H. Buerger, M. Erren, A. Gunsel, C. Wedemeyer, G. Saxler, W. Winkelmann, G. Gosheger, Biomaterials 28(18), 2869 (2007)Google Scholar
- 26.E. Verné, M. Miola, C. Vitale Brovarone, M. Cannas, S. Gatti, G. Fucale, G. Maina, A. Massé, S. Di Nunzio, submitted to J. Mat. Sci. Mat. Med.Google Scholar
- 27.S. Di Nunzio, E. Vernè, Process for the production of silver-containing prosthetic devices. WO 2006/058906Google Scholar
- 31.NCCLS M2-A9 “Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Tests, Approved Standard – Ninth EditionGoogle Scholar
- 32.L.L. Hench, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 81, 1705 (1998)Google Scholar
- 36.E. Vernè, S. Ferraris, M. Miola, G. Fucale, G. Maina, G. Martinasso, R.A. Canuto, S. Di Nunzio, C. Vitale Brovarone (2008) Adv. Appl. Ceram. 107(5), 234 (2008)Google Scholar