Synthesis and characterization of biodegradable poly (ethylene glycol) and poly (caprolactone diol) end capped poly (propylene fumarate) cross linked amphiphilic hydrogel as tissue engineering scaffold material
- 559 Downloads
Biodegradable poly (caprolactone diol-co-propylene fumarate-co-ethylene glycol) amphiphilic polymer with poly (ethylene glycol) and poly (caprolactone diol) chain ends (PCL–PPF–PEG) was prepared. PCL–PPF–PEG undergoes fast setting with acrylamide (aqueous solution) by free radical polymerization and produces a crosslinked hydrogel. The cross linked and freeze-dried amphiphilic material has porous and interconnected network. It undergoes higher degree of swelling and water absorption to form hydrogel with hydrophilic and hydrophobic domains at the surface and appreciable tensile strength. The present hydrogel is compatible with L929 fibroblast cells. PCL–PPF–PEG/acrylamide hydrogel is a candidate scaffold material for tissue engineering applications.
KeywordsPoly Lactic Acid Crosslink Density Poly Ethylene Glycol Tissue Engineering Application Caprolactone
The authors thank Prof. K. Mohandas, Director, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical sciences and Technology and Dr. G.S. Bhuvaneshwar, Head, Biomedical Technology Wing, SCTIMST, Trivandrum for providing the support and facilities. The authors also thank Dr. Renuka Nair for her guidance and help in tissue culture. The authors acknowledge the financial support of Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi (No. BT/PR6524/Med/14/831/2005).
- 6.P.A. Gunatillake, R. Adhikari, Science 295, 1009 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.M. Jayabalan, V. Thomas, P.K. Sreelatha, Bio-Med. Mater. Eng. 10, 57 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.E.A. Merril, E.W. Salzman, ASAIO J. 6, 60 (1983)Google Scholar
- 12.V. Thomas, M. Jayabalan, J. Biomed. Mat. Res.-Part A, Online 22, Apr, 2008Google Scholar
- 13.P.R. Muray, Manual of clinical Microbiology, 7th edn. (American Society of Microbiology, 1999), p. 1527Google Scholar
- 19.E.A. Merrill, E.W. Salzman, ASAIO J. 6, 60 (1983)Google Scholar