Electrochemical corrosion behaviour of dental/implant alloys in saline medium
- 217 Downloads
Dental alloys implanted in mouth are exposed to various aggressive conditions. Keeping this in view, corrosion behaviour of various dental alloys viz. Ni–Cr, Co–Cr, Cu–Ni–Al and commercially pure Ti (c.p. Ti) were studied in 3% NaCl medium by using Tafel polarization, cyclic polarization and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy techniques. EIS studies were carried out for different duration viz. 1 h, 1 day and 7 days to evaluate the stability of passive film and change in corrosion characteristics with time. It has been found that for Ni–Cr, Co–Cr (DRDO developed) and c.p. Ti the passive film characteristic changed with time whereas for Co–Cr (commercial) and Cu–Ni–Al alloys, the passive film characteristics remained same. From DC electrochemical studies various parameters viz. icorr, Ecorr, ipass, Epass were evaluated. The corrosion rates were observed to be in the order Cu–Ni–Al > Co–Cr (commercial) > Ni–Cr > c.p. Ti > Co–Cr (DRDO).
KeywordsPassive Film Open Circuit Potential Artificial Saliva Cyclic Polarization Stable Passive
The authors are thankful to Dr. K. U. Bhasker Rao, Director, for the encouragements.
- 1.J.A. Von Fraunhofer, in Corrosion in the Oral Cavity, ed. by L.L. Shreir, R.A. Jarmon, G.T. Burstein. Corrosion, vol 1, 3rd edn (Butterworth Heinmann, Oxford, UK, 1994) pp. 155–161Google Scholar
- 2.T. Okabe, H. Herø, Cells Mater. 5, 211 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.K.J. Anusavice, Phillip’s Science of Dental Materials (WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 1996)Google Scholar
- 8.P.Y. Eschler, L. Reclaru, H. Lüthy, A. Blatter, C. Larue, C. Süsz, J. Bösch, Eur. Cell Mater. 9, 64 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.L. Reclaru, H. Lüthy, P.Y. Eschler, A. Blatter, O. Loeffel, M.H. Zurcher, Eur. Cell. Mater. 7(Suppl. 2), 51 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.G.S. Duffó, E.Q. Castillo, Corrosion 60, 595 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.H. Dong, Y. Nagamatsu, K.K Chen, K. Tajima, H. Kakigawa, S. Shi, Y. Kozono, Dent. Mater. J. 22, 482 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.J. Geis-Gerstorfer, K.H. Sauer, K. Pässler, Int. J. Prosthodont. 4, 152 (1991)Google Scholar
- 24.M. Pourbaix, Atlas of Electrochemical Equilibria in Aqueous Solution (NACE, Houston 312, 1974), p. 263Google Scholar