Morphometrical analysis of multinucleated giant cells in subdermal implants of poly-lactic acid in rats
The use of bioabsorbable polymers in (bio)medical applications has increased greatly in recent years, mainly because of their good bioreabsorption and biocompatibility. In this work, we examined the development of foreign body giant cells in intimate contact with porous membranes of poly L–lactic acid containing 7% of plasticizer triethylcitrate implanted in the backs of rats. The membranes were removed 2, 7, 14, 21, 28, 60, 90 and 180 days after implantation, along with a portion of the tissue around the implant. Histological analysis of the implant and tissue revealed the formation of a fibrous capsule from the seventh day of implantation onwards. Foreign body giant cells appeared from the seventh day and increased in number up to the twenty-eighth day and then up to the ninetieth day of implantation, remaining constant up to the end of the study onwards, and increased in number up to the ninetieth day after implantation and then remained constant. The number of nuclei in these cells increased from the seventh day of implantation up to the ninetieth day and then up to the end of the study.
KeywordsPolymer Lactic Acid Foreign Body Giant Cell Histological Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.R. M. LUCIANO, in “Síntese,12 Caracterizaç ao e Degradaç ao de Membranas de Poliácido lático), um polímero bioabsorvível”, Masters dissertation. UNICAMP. 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.S. H. HYLON, K. JAMSHIDI and Y. IKADA, in “Polymers as Biomaterials” (Plenum Press, 1985) p. 51.Google Scholar
- 15.A. K. McNALLY and J. M. ANDERSON, Am. J. Pathol. 160 (2002) 621.Google Scholar
- 16.A. GASSER and J. MOST, Infect. Immun. 67 (1999) 395.Google Scholar
- 17.R. M. LUCIANO, in “Proceedings of the European Medical & Biological Engineering Conference”, Vienna, November 1999, edited by P. Peregrius (Published for International Federation for Medical & Biological Engineering, 1999) p. 214.Google Scholar
- 18.M. C. C. SPECTOR and X. TONG-LI, Crit. Rev. Biocomp. 5 (1989) 269.Google Scholar
- 23.D. R. JORDAN, S. BROWNSTEIN, S. GILBERG, B. MATTHEW, L. MAWN and L. KHOURI, Ophthal. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 18 (2002) 342.Google Scholar
- 27.K.M. De FIFE, C.R. JENNEY, E. COLTON and J.M. ANDERSON, FASEB J. 13 (1999) 823.Google Scholar
- 28.A.K. McNALLY and J.M. ANDERSON, Am. J. Pathol. 147 (1995) 1487.Google Scholar
- 29.K.M. De FIFE, C.R. JENNEY, A.K. McNALLY, E. COLTON and J.M. ANDERSON, J. Immunol. 158 (1997) 3385.Google Scholar